Weird tab automatically opens
Sometimes when I go to a site with social networking buttons (i.e. FaceBook, Twitter, Google+), a weird new tab opens up with a small button on the upper right corner. I suspect that it's an add-on problem; but because it occurs randomly, I cannot single out which add-on causes this weird behavior, nor can I provide an snapshot attachment immediately.
Note, The extensions Download Helper, DownThemAll, Fullscreen Homestarruner, TabMixPlus, and TACO were disabled at one point when this issue occurred.
If anyone reading this does not have this problem, please list the add-ons you use that are also on the Troubleshooting Information list so that I can rule them out.
Additional System Details
- Vizzed Retro Game Room Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- Google Update
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.0
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Winamp Application Detector
- DivX Plus Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- Citrix ICA Client Plugin (Win32)
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
You may see a toolbar button or sidebar from the Social features.
You can disable the Social features by setting the social.enabled pref to false on the about:config page.
Turns out it opens in a new tab because tabmixplus, but even when I change the settings, it can still appear whether it's in the current tab or in a new window.