Add-ons let you add bells and whistles to Firefox. You can get add-ons that compare prices, check the weather, change the look of Firefox, listen to music, or even update your Facebook profile. This article covers the different types of add-ons available and how to find and install them.
Table of Contents
What types of add-ons can I install?
You can install these general types of add-ons:
Extensions add new features to Firefox or modify existing ones. There are extensions that allow you to block advertisements, download videos from websites, integrate Firefox with websites like Facebook or Twitter, and add features included in other browsers, such as translators.
Themes can decorate the menu bar and tab strip with a background image. Firefox also includes built-in themes. For more information on built-in themes, see Built-in themes in Firefox - alternative to complete themes.
You can install the Adobe Flash plugin for video, audio, online games, and more. (Firefox automatically downloads the Google Widevine CDM for watching Digital Rights Management (DRM) controlled content and an OpenH264 plugin for video calls.)
- Search engines
Firefox comes with a number of search engines already installed. You can access them from the Search bar (if enabled) or directly from the address bar. If you want additional search engines, you can install them on the websites directly or from addons.mozilla.org.
Viewing and managing your installed add-ons
Search engines can be viewed and managed in the Search panel in Firefox OptionsPreferences . For other add-ons:
- Click the menu button and choose . The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- Select the panel for the type of add-on you wish to view or manage, such as the , or panel.
For detailed information on disabling or removing add-ons, see Disable or remove Add-ons.
How do I find and install add-ons?
Here is an overview to get you started:
- Firefox may offer personalized recommendations. Click the menu button , click and select .
- To install a featuredrecommended add-on, click the blue or button, depending on the type of add-on. To uninstall an add-on you just installed, click the grey button.
At the top and bottom of the list of featuredrecommended add-ons, there's also a button you can click. It will take you to addons.mozilla.org where you can search for specific add-ons.
Some extensions place a button in the toolbar after installation. You can remove those or move them into the menu if you want - see Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars.
For information on troubleshooting problems with extensions, plugins, or themes, see the articles below.
Problems with installing or uninstalling add-ons
Problems caused by add-ons
- Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems
- Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems
- Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware
- Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page
- Re-enable add-ons that were disabled when updating Firefox
- Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist
- Add-on signing in Firefox