Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings
- Click this Refresh Firefox button directly, if you are viewing this page in Firefox. This won't work if you are using a different browser or a mobile device.
- You can also find a Refresh Firefox button at the top of the Firefox about:support Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close to refresh itself. When finished, a window will list your imported information. Click and Firefox will open.
What does the refresh feature do?
Firefox stores all your settings and personal information in a profile folder. The refresh feature creates a new profile folder and saves your important data.
The refresh feature removes add-ons normally stored inside the Firefox profile folder (such as extensions and themes). Add-ons stored in other locations are not removed (although any modified preferences are reset).
Firefox will save these items:
- Browsing and download history
- Open windows and tabs
- Web form auto-fill information
- Personal dictionary
These items and settings will be removed:
- Extensions and themes
- Website permissions
- Modified preferences
- Added search engines
- DOM storage
- Security certificate and device settings
- Download actions
- Toolbar customizations
- User styles (chrome subfolder containing userChrome and/or userContent CSS files, if previously created.)