Firefox remains minimized on taskbar and won't open or maximize
I solved the issue of "Firefox remains minimized on taskbar and won't open or maximize" and tried to post a reply but it said the thread is closed.I press alt tab until the firefox minimized icon on the task bar is highlighted and then press winkey [uparrow] ... this maximizes selected minimized windows. This only seems to work if using alt-tab to select the window. When clicking with the mouse, it doesn't seem to work.Good luck!It was driving me nuts!
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 188.8.131.5212
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.0
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Picasa plugin
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Musicnotes Viewer plugin 1.18.6 For more information visit www.musicnotes.com
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Thanks for the report. Similar recent thread: When I go to open firefox it shows up on my tool bar but not on my screen where is it?
I have 4 FF browser windows open... about 45 tabs in all...
when I mouse over the thumbprints on the taskbar, all 4 of the browser windows show up...
However, at times, none of them will open up and sometimes, only one or two...
I do not have this issue with any other browser so, wondering....
Is this a FF issue??? and addon issue?
The problem does NOT happen all of the time
I just tried shutting them down with task manager and rebooting...
the issue still exists...
When I mouse over the thumbnail images, all of the browser windows show up...
HOWEVER, when I move my cursor up to select a specific window, two of the windows "show up" as a ghost outline - these are the windows that won't open...
The other two display the browser as it is... and, when I click on either of these, they will open.
FF is my browser of choice... I really dislike most others....
However, I waste MORE TIME trying to get FF to work and am so incredibly frustrated, I'm looking for an alternative ...
I can't get any work done...
Will really appreciate a fix for this issue
OS Windows 7 Ultimate - 32 bit FF version 18.0.2 (I have had this issue in almost all versions of FF)
I wish I could get a screen shot...
Modified by kstavert
Hi kstavert, when you say they appear as ghost windows, what do you mean? If you use another method to switch to one of those windows, does it work? Here are two things to try:
(1) While holding down the Alt key, press and release Tab once. A palette should appear with icons for all open windows. Press Tab until one of the "ghost" windows is selected, and then release the Alt key to complete the switch.
(2) Open the Windows Task Manager using Ctrl+Alt+Esc and click the Applications tab. Select one of the "ghost" windows and click Switch To.
If you cannot see the active Firefox window, try the following to maximize it: Alt+spacebar, then the x key.
Do any of those methods display the window?
Of course, this is not a suggested workaround: I'm trying to figure out whether the problem is the Taskbar integration not working, or whether those Firefox windows are completely nonresponsive or possibly moved off-screen.
I really appreciate your suggestions.... will try them out next time this happens.....
I rebooted my pc about 4 times....and restarted FF...
this time, instead of just selecting "restore", I deselected a couple of tabs... maybe 5 .... from different browser windows...
all of the tabs are ones that I use on a regular basis
this time, all 4 browser windows will open when I select them...
when I wrote "ghost" browser... ... all 4 thumbnails show up in the taskbar....
when I moved the cursor up to select a browser window to open, two of the thumbnails enlarged and showed up exactly as they appear... the other two showed what looked like an "impression" outline of the browser window - devoid of any detail of the tabs that are open on that browser.. and all that I could see was my desktop.... not the actual browser ....
Since this is far from being the first time with this issue, I doubt that it's the last.... I have copied your recommendations and will use them next time this happens... which has been incredibly often.
Again, Big Hugs and thank you so very much
- Use Restore or Maximize in the right-click context menu of the Taskbar icon to set focus to the Firefox application if you do not see the Firefox window.
- Open the system menu of that Firefox window via Alt+Space and see if you can move and resize that window (use the keyboard cursor keys).
If that works then first close all other open Firefox windows and then close Firefox via "File > Exit/Quit" to save that setting.
If the above didn't help then see: