Since the upgrade I have words double underlined that lead to an advertisement. I also have pop-ups now even though my pop-up blocker in enabled.
My computer did an automatic upgrade a few days ago, and since then I have double underlined words in the most random places. When the mouse is hovered over, it shows an advertisement. Also, since the upgrade, I now have pop-ups. I use google addon for my toolbar and EVERYTIME I do a search I get at least 1 if not 2 pop ups for a different search engine searching what I inputed.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
My computer upgraded firefox
- Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.5.1 for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- HP Product Detection Plugin
- HP Active Check Plugin
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.0
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1
It sounds like some other add-on got installed. You can try to troubleshoot and narrow down the cause with the instructions here - Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems
Or you can reset Firefox. Instructions here - Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
You can look at Adblock Plus to hide double underlined IntelliTXT type pop-ups.
- Adblock Plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
You need to subscribe to a Filter list (e.g. the EasyList).