Bookmarks in Firefox
Bookmarks are links to web pages that make it easy to get back to your favorite places.
This article goes over the basics of making and managing your bookmarks.
Table of Contents
How do I bookmark a page?
To bookmark a page, just click the star in the address bar.
The star will turn blue when the page is bookmarked and a window will pop up so you can name, move or tag your bookmark.
If the star is missing from the address bar:
- Click on the Page actions (3-dot) menu.
- Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click the entry.
- Click on .
How do I change the name or location of a bookmark?
- To edit the details of your bookmark, click the star a second time to open the Edit This Bookmark dialog box.
- In the Edit This Bookmark box you can change any of these details:
- Name: This is the name that Firefox displays for the bookmark in menus.
- Folder: Choose what folder to store your bookmark in by picking one from the drop-down menu (for example, the Bookmarks Menu or Bookmarks Toolbar). In that drop-down menu you can also select to display a list of all bookmarks folders.
- Tags: You can use tags to help you search through and organize your bookmarks. For more information, see Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find.
- When you are finished editing, click to close the box.
If you don't want to see this editor when saving a bookmark, remove the checkmark from Show editor when saving.
How can I view and organize my bookmarks?
The Library window lets you view and organize all your bookmarks.
Click the , then click . Scroll to the bottom and click .Click the Bookmarks button and select to open the Library window.
By default, the bookmarks you make will be located in the Other Bookmarks folder. Select it in the sidebar of the Library window to see the bookmarks you've made. Double-clicking a bookmark will open it.
While you have the Library window open, you can also drag bookmarks into other folders. If you add bookmarks to the Bookmarks Menu folder, it will show your bookmarks under the Bookmarks menu item if you've customized Firefox to show the Menu bar. If you add bookmarks to the Bookmarks Toolbar folder they'll show up on the Bookmarks Toolbar.
See these articles for details on how to manage a giant list of bookmarks:
- Sort your bookmarks to quickly find the ones you want
- Use bookmark folders to organize your bookmarks
- How do I delete a bookmark?
How do I add the Bookmarks Menu button to the toolbar?
You can add the Bookmarks Menu button to the toolbar using the Library button:
- Click the icon, then click .
- Click , then click , and the button should appear next to the Library icon.
To remove the Bookmarks menu button from the toolbar, repeat the steps above and after clicking , click .
How do I turn on the Bookmarks Toolbar?
The Bookmarks Toolbar is a handy place to add your favorite bookmarks. If you want to use the Bookmarks Toolbar, you can turn it on like this:
- Click the menu button and choose .
- Click the dropdown menu at the bottom of the screen and select .
- Click the button when you're finished.
- Click the menu at the top of the screen, go down to and select .
Tips and tricks
Want to easily find a bookmarked page? Just start typing its name in the address bar. As you type, a list of web pages that you've bookmarked, tagged and visited will appear. Bookmarked pages will have a star next to them. All you have to do is click one of the pages and you'll be taken there instantly. To learn more, see Awesome Bar - Search your Firefox bookmarks, history and tabs from the address bar.
Ready for more fun with bookmarks? Here are more articles to help you get the most out of them.
- Share bookmarks, tabs and more with another computer or mobile device: see How do I set up Sync on my computer?
- Switching between different browsers? These article will help you take your bookmarks with you: