SUMO community discussions

New Mozilla Content Strategist Ask

1. Hi everyone, we have a new Content Strategist in the Firefox team who’s looking for ideas to improve copy (wording and placement) in Firefox’s interface..examples of interface copy would be any wording in the about:support pages, a way a setting is described in the about:preferences menu, labels of buttons or even tool tips.

What she is looking for are examples Firefox users becoming confused about how a feature, label, button or part of the browser works because of what it is called or how it is described to work.

Before we send her a dump of every question that was ever answered in the last year I thought it might be a good opportunity to mention here in the forums the most annoying ones or any long standing confusion in the product. The scope here would be any example back to version 45 for Firefox however.

How you can participate: Post the link to a question or a link to any discussion that has happened in the last 6 months to a year and provide the following:

1. The link
    2. The name of the feature
    3. What the user expected
    4. What the product actually does
    Hi everyone, we have a new Content Strategist in the Firefox team who’s looking for ideas to improve copy (wording and placement) in Firefox’s interface..examples of interface copy would be any wording in the about:support pages, a way a setting is described in the about:preferences menu, labels of buttons or even tool tips. What she is looking for are examples Firefox users becoming confused about how a feature, label, button or part of the browser works because of what it is called or how it is described to work. Before we send her a dump of every question that was ever answered in the last year I thought it might be a good opportunity to mention here in the forums the most annoying ones or any long standing confusion in the product. The scope here would be any example back to version 45 for Firefox however. How you can participate: Post the link to a question or a link to any discussion that has happened in the last 6 months to a year and provide the following: #The link #The name of the feature #What the user expected #What the product actually does
  2. There isn't a support question or recent discussion about the new UI I can link to but I have a question and a suggestion to improve the copy for the new about:profiles page.

The page is still in development it seems, but about:profiles is currently linked from the about:support page. The text under About Profiles that defines a profile seems weird/awkward (here's a fx48 screenshot using 64-bit Firefox on Windows 7):

This page helps you to manage your profiles. Each profile is a separate world which contains separate history, bookmarks, settings and add-ons.

I would take out "separate world" since it seems odd to me, and just say:

This page helps you to manage your Firefox profiles. Each profile contains separate user data and customizations, including history, bookmarks, settings and add-ons.

We could also add a "Learn more" link to a SUMO article (e.g., Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data ... or Profile Manager - Create, remove or switch Firefox profiles, once it's updated to reflect the new UI), as suggested in bug 1179129 comment 29.

For my question: I just noticed in Firefox 48 that there's a new button, "Launch profile in new browser" which isn't there in Firefox 47. What's that button supposed to do? When I used my "default" Firefox 48 profile and clicked the "Launch profile in new browser" button under the "test" profile, it just opened a new window in the default profile I was already using. I'm guessing it will eventually open a new instance of Firefox with another profile?

There isn't a support question or recent discussion about the new UI I can link to but I have a question and a suggestion to improve the copy for the new '''about:profiles''' page. The page is still in development [/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles/discuss/6449 it seems], but about:profiles is currently linked from the about:support page. The text under About Profiles that defines a profile seems weird/awkward (here's a [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/26192 fx48 screenshot] using 64-bit Firefox on Windows 7): ''This page helps you to manage your profiles. Each profile is a separate world which contains separate history, bookmarks, settings and add-ons.'' I would take out "separate world" since it seems odd to me, and just say: '''This page helps you to manage your Firefox profiles. Each profile contains separate user data and customizations, including history, bookmarks, settings and add-ons.''' We could also add a "Learn more" link to a SUMO article (e.g., [[Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data]] ... or [[Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles]], once it's updated to reflect the new UI), as suggested in [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1179129#c29 bug 1179129 comment 29]. '''For my question:''' I just noticed in Firefox 48 that there's a new button, "Launch profile in new browser" which isn't there in Firefox 47. What's that button supposed to do? When I used my "default" Firefox 48 profile and clicked the "Launch profile in new browser" button under the "test" profile, it just opened a new window in the default profile I was already using. I'm guessing it will eventually [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_Firefox_with_another_profile open a new instance of Firefox with another profile]?

Modified by AliceWyman on

3. Is this a short term appointment |intern | consultant or is this a permanent appointment where a staff member is taking a look at Mozilla and may continue to have a long term overview of this.

No links for now but the Refresh feature is I always think over promoted. I can try to get bacjk to this next week but briefly

• users lose Addons

Refresh

I posted that prematurely I will continue

• Users Lose Addons they may not always have registerd that fact before taking the plunge.
      • IIRC there may have ben discussion of allowing addons to be restored, but that was decided to be too costly/complex
    • It is promoted rather aggressivly I think for instance on
      slow startups,
      rusers just not having used Firefox recently
      On KB articles,
      On the safe mode options
      on the about:support page

Sure it is a simple to use feature and an easy fix. However not always as easy to get things back. I even suggested about:profiles could have an option to see the deskktop old data file Maybe even run that profile, even better restore it.

Is this a short term appointment |intern | consultant or is this a permanent appointment where a staff member is taking a look at Mozilla and may continue to have a long term overview of this. No links for now but the Refresh feature is I always think over promoted. I can try to get bacjk to this next week but briefly * users lose Addons ------------- === Refresh === I posted that prematurely I will continue * Users Lose Addons they may not always have registerd that fact before taking the plunge. ** IIRC there may have ben discussion of allowing addons to be restored, but that was decided to be too costly/complex * It is promoted rather aggressivly I think for instance on <br/>slow startups, <br/>rusers just not having used Firefox recently <br/> On KB articles, <br/>On the safe mode options <br> on the about:support page Sure it is a simple to use feature and an easy fix. However not always as easy to get things back. I even suggested about:profiles could have an option to see the deskktop old data file Maybe even run that profile, even better restore it.

Modified by John99 on

4. Crashes

Is the email sent still NOT linking directly to the users current Crash Report ID I imagine the Crash Stats: search sumo link still leaves a lot to be desired Do we make it clear from the inteerface that users need to submit crash IDs to Sumo not just submit the Crash

Users often complain they gave the email addresss as requested but we did not contact them. or they submitted multiple reports for a long time and nothing was fixed.

Again no specific links. I have not got time right now to start digging up links. Thought at least comments as a place holder were worth making.

When is she starting, and when will you need more detailed information by ?

=== Crashes === Is the email sent still NOT linking directly to the users current Crash Report ID I imagine the Crash Stats: search sumo link still leaves a lot to be desired Do we make it clear from the inteerface that users need to submit crash IDs to Sumo not just submit the Crash Users often complain they gave the email addresss as requested but we did not contact them. or they submitted multiple reports for a long time and nothing was fixed. Again no specific links. I have not got time right now to start digging up links. Thought at least comments as a place holder were worth making. When is she starting, and when will you need more detailed information by ?
  5. Sync

Sync is/was good at corrupting bookmarks & spreading that corruption It probably has issues when also used on Android for bookmarks

Users try to use it or rely on it as a server based backup that is not its purpose.

Android

Is that within the scope of this review ?

===Sync=== Sync is/was good at corrupting bookmarks & spreading that corruption It probably has issues when also used on Android for bookmarks Users try to use it or rely on it as a server based backup that is not its purpose. === Android === Is that within the scope of this review ?
  6. Lets remember the Current forum is linked directly from the Firefox UI So I can not resist commenting on Sumo | Kitsune itself.

Asking Support Questions

Yes this is all changing soon, new forum software.

We could possibly do better jobs of

• Ensuring relevant information is provided by the user - preferably automatically
    • That users are aware we do NOT provide telephone and Email support
    • That user is aware it is a volunteer based support.
    • Ensuring people understand how to use and navigate the forum

Register to ask a question or POST

i agree fully this is required not only to limit spam, but to stop the forum being totally swamped by questions. We also have have a one poster per question policy which I also agree to. Possibly this should be better explained from the interface. Some guide as to how to use support Rather than leaving people flummoxed as to how they post.

• The SUMO advanced search is of course a Kitsune feature but it probably leaves a lot to be desired /search/advanced try using it for the first time, if you even cone across it. How about looking for its own help article ?
    • The Sumo ordinary search is bad
      It can drop you on a thread with hundreds of posts or dozens of pages, Provide you with two links.
      1. One shows the thread title
      2. The 2nd highlights the target text.
      • BUT thy are now both the same link destination, the thread start.which could frustratingly show you part of an answer, with tantalisingly the target text highlighted, but an impossible scroll and search by eye task ahead.

An easier to Browse & Search KB

The product pages are great e.g. /products/firefox They do have topic sections, and they do have a search bar

• I wonder if those that miss the smallish search bar and try the topics sections may miss the articles they need.
    • We have hundreds of articles. That may not be obvious from the topics.
    • Would some sort of index help
    • Maybe as I know I have mentioned before a search by title, Some people may like the idea of trying to browse the knowledgebase, but it is just not designed for that.
      1. Troubleshooting /kb/category/10
      2. How To /kb/category/20
      3. How to Contribute /kb/category/30
      4. Administration /kb/category/40
      5. Navigation /kb/category/50
      6. Templates /kb/category/60
      7. Canned Res.ponses /kb/category/70

Note also that will include obsolete articles and products the user is not wanting to look for.

'''Lets remember the Current forum is linked directly from the Firefox UI''' So I can not resist commenting on Sumo | Kitsune itself. ==Asking Support Questions== Yes this is all changing soon, new forum software. We could possibly do better jobs of * Ensuring relevant information is provided by the user - preferably automatically * That users are aware we do NOT provide telephone and Email support * That user is aware it is a volunteer based support. *Ensuring people understand how to use and navigate the forum === Register to ask a question or POST === i agree fully this is required not only to limit spam, but to stop the forum being totally swamped by questions. We also have have a one poster per question policy which I also agree to. Possibly this should be better explained from the interface. '''Some guide as to how to use support''' Rather than leaving people flummoxed as to how they post. === Forum Search === *The '''SUMO advanced search''' is of course a Kitsune feature but it probably leaves a lot to be desired [/search/advanced] try using it for the first time, if you even cone across it. How about looking for its own help article ? * '''The Sumo ordinary search is bad'''<br>It can drop you on a thread with hundreds of posts or dozens of pages, Provide you with two links. *# One shows the thread title *# The 2nd highlights the target text. ** BUT thy are now both the same link destination, the thread start.which could frustratingly show you part of an answer, with tantalisingly the target text highlighted, but an impossible scroll and search by eye task ahead. == An easier to Browse & Search KB == The product pages are great e.g. [/products/firefox] They do have topic sections, and they do have a search bar * I wonder if those that miss the smallish search bar and try the topics sections may miss the articles they need. * We have hundreds of articles. That may not be obvious from the topics. * Would some sort of index help *Maybe as I know I have mentioned before a search by title, Some people may like the idea of trying to browse the knowledgebase, but it is just not designed for that. *# Troubleshooting [/kb/category/10] *# How To [/kb/category/20] *# How to Contribute [/kb/category/30] *# Administration [/kb/category/40] *# Navigation [/kb/category/50] *# Templates [/kb/category/60] *# Canned Res.ponses [/kb/category/70] Note also that will include obsolete articles and products the user is not wanting to look for.
  7. guigs said

Hi everyone, we have a new Content Strategist in the Firefox team who’s looking for ideas to improve copy (wording and placement) in Firefox’s interface..examples of interface copy would be any wording in the about:support pages,

Speaking of which, the about:support Troubleshooting Information page could use some "Learn more" links, such as the prominent "Give Firefox a tuneup" and "Try Firefox Safe Mode" items. The Use the Troubleshooting Information page to help fix Firefox issues SUMO article has short summaries and explanatory links (like Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings and Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode) but it would be great if the about:support page itself had them.

''guigs [[#post-69756|said]]'' <blockquote> Hi everyone, we have a new Content Strategist in the Firefox team who’s looking for ideas to improve copy (wording and placement) in Firefox’s interface..examples of interface copy would be any wording in the about:support pages, </blockquote> Speaking of which, the '''about:support''' Troubleshooting Information page could use some "Learn more" links, such as the prominent "Give Firefox a tuneup" and "Try Firefox Safe Mode" items. The [[Use the Troubleshooting Information page to help fix Firefox issues]] SUMO article has short summaries and explanatory links (like [[Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings]] and [[Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode]]) but it would be great if the about:support page itself had them.
  8. John99 said

Is this a short term appointment |intern | consultant or is this a permanent appointment where a staff member is taking a look at Mozilla and may continue to have a long term overview of this.

She (Michelle) is a regular full-time staff member and is shooting for long term improvements. She only started a month ago and is just getting started with research. Since we work a lot with end users, our insights can be really valuable, but she'll also have to consider feedback from other sources (other teams' data, brand considerations, etc.) for the big picture.

John, you've offered good suggestions for SUMO/Kitsune that we can use ourselves. Michelle will be looking only at the copy in the Firefox UI itself.

I'll point her to this thread and let her go on from there.

Thanks for all your feedback. Joni

''John99 [[#post-69761|said]]'' <blockquote> Is this a short term appointment |intern | consultant or is this a permanent appointment where a staff member is taking a look at Mozilla and may continue to have a long term overview of this. </blockquote> She (Michelle) is a regular full-time staff member and is shooting for long term improvements. She only started a month ago and is just getting started with research. Since we work a lot with end users, our insights can be really valuable, but she'll also have to consider feedback from other sources (other teams' data, brand considerations, etc.) for the big picture. John, you've offered good suggestions for SUMO/Kitsune that we can use ourselves. Michelle will be looking only at the copy in the Firefox UI itself. I'll point her to this thread and let her go on from there. Thanks for all your feedback. Joni
  9. Thanks for the reply Joni.

I do not think anything I posted about is really new information. I did not know exactly what would be considered as part of the UI, but probably end users consider Firefox Crash Reporter and its subsequent emails to be part of the UI.

The Refresh option is part of the UI Just Key in about:support a protocol specifically mentioned by Rachel as part of the UI You get an option

Give Firefox a tune up []

With no warning of what it will do And the various popups offering a Refresh are again surely part of the UI

Thanks for the reply Joni. I do not think anything I posted about is really new information. I did not know exactly what would be considered as part of the UI, but probably end users consider Firefox Crash Reporter and its subsequent emails to be part of the UI. The '''Refresh''' option is part of the UI Just Key in '''''about:support''''' a protocol specifically mentioned by Rachel as part of the UI You get an option '''''Give Firefox a tune up []''''' With no warning of what it will do And the various popups offering a Refresh are again surely part of the UI
  10. Another one that might be nice to clean up is this page:

[about:addons] Add ons on this page are called "Extensions" and other places "Extentions" is also used for "plugins". They really need to have a clear distinction since plugins are not synced etc etc.

Another one that might be nice to clean up is this page: [about:addons] Add ons on this page are called "Extensions" and other places "Extentions" is also used for "plugins". They really need to have a clear distinction since plugins are not synced etc etc.

Modified by guigs on

11. Also if this includes UI wording this was something that came up over the weekend: Forget button and Restore session button are way too similar: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1134612

Also if this includes UI wording this was something that came up over the weekend: Forget button and Restore session button are way too similar: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1134612
  12. guigs said

Another one that might be nice to clean up is this page: [about:addons] Add ons on this page are called "Extensions" and other places "Extentions" is also used for "plugins". They really need to have a clear distinction since plugins are not synced etc etc.

What is the wording you are looking at? It is a page with six tabs of information. It is correct that Add-ons include Extensions and Plugins as we explain in the KB Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox_what-types-of-add-ons-can-i-install or in MDN https://developer.mozilla.org/Add-ons#Other_types_of_add-ons

You are of course correct to say the terms can lead to confusion, and maybe we should try harder to clarify the facts.

''guigs [[#post-69820|said]]'' <blockquote> Another one that might be nice to clean up is this page: [about:addons] Add ons on this page are called "Extensions" and other places "Extentions" is also used for "plugins". They really need to have a clear distinction since plugins are not synced etc etc. </blockquote> What is the wording you are looking at? It is a page with six tabs of information. It is correct that Add-ons include Extensions and Plugins as we explain in the KB [[Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox#w_what-types-of-add-ons-can-i-install]]_what-types-of-add-ons-can-i-install or in MDN https://developer.mozilla.org/Add-ons#Other_types_of_add-ons You are of course correct to say the terms can lead to confusion, and maybe we should try harder to clarify the facts.
  13. Hi

I would welcome them looking at Firefox Sync.

I like using Sync and it works fine for me, but I appreciate that users have problems using it.

An example of this can be seen here. This is an example of a common Sync misconception, that it is a cloud back up service.

Myself and a member of the Sync staff are looking into a small change that could help, but perhaps a bigger effort combining content strategy, Marketing, SUMO and Sync could help tackle and help resolve user misconceptions. Sync are interested in doing this and I would be happy to volunteer, just need to get Marketing and this new role "on-board".

Hi I would welcome them looking at Firefox Sync. I like using Sync and it works fine for me, but I appreciate that users have problems using it. An example of this can be seen [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1124877 here]. This is an example of a common Sync misconception, that it is a cloud back up service. Myself and a member of the Sync staff are looking into a small change that could help, but perhaps a bigger effort combining content strategy, Marketing, SUMO and Sync could help tackle and help resolve user misconceptions. Sync are interested in doing this and I would be happy to volunteer, just need to get Marketing and this new role "on-board".