when I click save link as nothing happens
Since upgrading to Firefox 27 (using Windows XP) I cannot save a file by using Save Link As. When I do, I see the hour-glass icon but nothing happens. Similarly, if prompted to open a file (e.g. pdf) or to save it when I select 'save' nothing happens. My preference is "Always ask me where to save files". If I choose "Save files to" I cannot change the default download folder. Any idea how I can get this working again?
hello Eric2, other affected users have reported that this was caused by their avast security software, can you switch to a different program?Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 220.127.116.11
- Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800
- LogMeIn, Inc. Remote Access Components
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.2"
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 18.104.22.168
- Citrix Receiver Plugin (Win32)
- Zeon PDF Plugin For Mozilla
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
Try start Firefo in Safe Mode:
Try create a new profile:
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried starting Firefox in safe mode and also created a new profile. Neither of these solved the problem. Interestingly, when I started XP in safe mode per the other question you referenced (and Firefox normally) I was able to save files from the "Save as" option. Unfortunately, it's not practical to run XP in safe mode all the time so I'm not sure what to do about it. What may have changed in Firefox 27? Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Just another thought. It seems to be part of a larger problem I've observed that Firefox 27 doesn't seem to have access to the file system.
- If I select "Save Page As" from the menu, nothing happens
- If I go into options and specify "Download| Save files to" and click on "Browse", nothing happens.
- If I click on a file link (e.g. pdf) and I select "Save File", nothing happens
- If I try "Export bookmarks to HTML", nothing happens
These are all related by the fact that they are file operations and none of them work. So, it seems to be a much larger problem that just downloading files.
Go to Mozilla.org and download the full installer.
If there is still a problem,
Start Firefox in Safe Mode
While you are in safe mode;
Firefox Options > Advanced > General. Look for and turn off Use Hardware Acceleration.
I'm afraid that hasn't solved the problem.
Somewhat amusingly, at first I couldn't even download the Firefox full installer using Firefox. When prompted to save the file I clicked "Save File" and nothing happened. Which is precisely my problem.
Only after changing my options to download files automatically could I download the file. I re-installed Firefox and also turned off hardware acceleration while in safe mode and still can't save files (except automatically, which I don't like).
I'm baffled why it worked OK with v26 but not now with v27. Thanks for taking the time to consider this problem. Any other ideas?
Do you have any problem with your anti-virus or your firewall? Try to
Start your Windows computer in safe mode
and see if the problem is still there.
Open your firewall program. First check the settings. Make sure that the program is set to tell you if a new program wants access to the web. Then go to the list of programs the firewall has. Make sure that all the programs you want to access the web are set to ALLOW. If it is set to AUTO, the firewall may not allow access.
hello Eric2, other affected users have reported that this was caused by their avast security software, can you switch to a different program?
Avast was the problem. I uninstalled Avast and I can download and save files normally again.
Thanks to everyone who replied for their help.