Theme issue on navigation and menu bars - Firefox 20.0
I just upgraded to Firefox 20.0. Now, the theme (default or others) do not seem to apply on the navigation bar and the menu bar. It's just black background. Theme applies correctly on the rest of the browser.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
Are your themes compatible with Firefox 20.0 Beta?
Theme developers don't always update their products for beta versions of Firefox.
AS mentioned in my post, even the default theme is a problem.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
In Firefox Safe mode these changes are effective:
- all extensions are disabled
- the default theme is used (no persona)
- userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored
- the default toolbar layout is used (localstore-safe.rdf)
- hardware acceleration is disabled
- plugins are not affected
- preferences are not affected
Try a clean reinstall and delete the Firefox program folder before reinstalling a fresh copy of Firefox.
Download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.
- Firefox 20.0.x: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/
Uninstall your current Firefox version, if possible, to cleanup the Windows registry and settings in security software.
- Do NOT remove personal data when you uninstall your current Firefox version, because all profile folders will be removed and you will also lose your personal data like bookmarks and passwords from profiles of other Firefox versions.
Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.
- It is important to delete the Firefox program folder to remove all the files and make sure that there are no problems with files that were leftover after uninstalling.
- (32 bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
- (64 bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\
Your bookmarks and other profile data are stored in the Firefox Profile Folder and won't be affected by an uninstall and (re)install, but make sure that "remove personal data" is NOT selected when you uninstall Firefox.
If you keep having problems then also create a new profile.
I lost my theme as well upon updating. I checked the current themes available in the Firefox add on network (Add-ons for Firefox -> Themes) and if you try and preview any available theme none work. Not even the freshest theme available as of today. Not sure what has changed with the code in this latest release.
Tried the safe mode. Did not fix it. Looks like the latest build broke it. As mentioned by the other poster above.
Previewing a lightweight theme (persona) only works on sites that are white-listed via an allow exception, so make sure to have an allow exception for the www.getpersonas.com domain if you still use that site and not the add-ons site. You can see the permissions for the domain in the current tab in:
- Tools > Page Info > Permissions > [X] Install Extensions or Themes
- Tools > Options > Security : "Warn me when sites try to install add-ons": Exceptions
Make sure that you do not use Clear (Recent) History to clear the "Site Preferences".
Sorry, I'm not following the solution. The theme has been successfully installed and it reflects on the browser. The only problem is that the navigation bar and the menu bar don't reflect the theme.
Is this an acknowledged problem? I see atleast 7 people have isse. As of 3/4, my browser is up to date and the issue still persists.
Additonal details. I'm permanently on Private browsing mode. When I get off the private browsing mode, the problem is fixed.
But obviously, that's not the solution. Now, you guys can atleast re-create the problem.
is this now a "feature" and not an "issue"? If yes, it sucks!
I've discovered the same issue as you. I restored Firefox to the default settings (Helps->Troubleshoot->Reset Firefox) and my themes were working again. As I went through the settings ("Options") to put them back to the way I had them before, I noticed that the theme stopped working.
I went back and noticed it happened after I changed the history settings to "Never remember history" (or permanent Private Browsing as many refer to this option as).
I changed the setting back to "remember history" and the themes worked again.
The only solution that I could work with is through the "Use custom settings for history" option and to select the last sub option -> "clear history folder when Firefox closes".
For that last option, there is another sub option labeled "settings" (located to the right of the "clear history folder when firefox closes" check box) that defines what Firefox clears out when the session ends.
However, the "settings" by default is set to delete Browsing History, Download History, Form & Search History, Cookies, Active Log-ins, & Cache.
There is a data option within that screen as well to delete Saved Passwords, Site Preferences, & Offline Web Data when a session ends but they are left unchecked by default.
And really if you have never set a password it won't matter.
Again, these changes are fine but it stinks to see 'experts' have us run around try useless options without really understanding why themes are behaving the way they are.
These new updates to the algorithm which handles such things is welcomed but surprises as to sudden changes are not. Better communication is needed for changes like these IMO so that most of us are not left spinning our wheels trying to guess where the changes are coming from.
Anyway, good day and good luck to everyone.