Can't complete actions on some websites, e.g., banking on-line, shopping
In the last 2 days, I haven't been able to complete actions when banking on-line. I can log in, navigate, do some actions, but can't complete scheduling payments. At shopping sites, I can fill my cart and start checkout, but not complete it. The pages just don't respond, there's no twirling circle on the Tab name.
I'm having to use IE on those sites.
Additional System Details
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- Plug-in for Workspace utilities
- Plug-in for Workspace Webmail
- Zeon PDF Plugin For Mozilla
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Was FF 17.x.x until yesterday, then ver 18.0
no screen shot or other information to paste
Clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Do you think that the Safe Mode would pinpoint the problem? I haven't changed addins etc., and on other than 2 sites, FF works completely, including completing purchases, doing stuff on credit card sets.
Just give Safe mode a try to see if it helps.
It doesn't make permanent changes like a reset (new profile) would do and at least you know if it is caused by an extension.
I'll try Safe Mode following the steps in the article.
Meanwhile, I just tried the operation I wanted in online banking, and it worked! Maybe FF 18 and the bank's system caught up with each other.
I don't do enough shopping to try that immediately.
I really appreciate cor-el's and Tylerdowner's suggestions.