Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Upgraded to FF 17 - began getting the old "Connecting..." problems with tabs - have never used renamizer - what's up?

  • 1 reply
  • 6 have this problem
  • 20 views
  • Last reply by Blue Sun

more options

Whenever I open a tab, I get the tab's name displayed until the tap is opened. Then it is replaced with the word 'Connecting..."

I have read of people having this problem a year ago attributed to the renamizer plugin. I have never used the renamizer plugin and didn't see this behavior until I just upgraded to version 17?

(BTW, what is with the flood of major version releases? Don't you think most of these should be minor point releases, or even patch releases? I've been writing s/w, primarily in assembler, C, and C++ with some Java thrown in when I can't talk the client out of it. One thing I've learned is that when major version releases are coming out with quick turn-around dates, something is usually wrong in the management of the codebase. I was working with a client earlier this year who refuses to upgrade past 4.x.x. Major releases have to be driving the extension coders absolutely batsh*t crazy trying to keep up. Some of my favorites have long since given up.)

That aside, my real question is, has anybody identified why I should suddenly be getting a problem that is attributed to an extension I never loaded back a dozen versions ago? I'd hate to have to start debugging or turn off all extensions and start going through a flood of extensions, enabling them one at a time?

Chosen solution

Don't bother with this one. The culprit is FoxLingo. If that is loaded, I get the Connecting... label in each tab. Disable it and back to normal. I don't know if this is some kind of bad interaction with another extension or whether it will still happen if I disable everything except FoxLingo, but that'll be somebody else's problem. I'll let the FoxLingo developer(s) know about it.

Read this answer in context 👍 1

All Replies (1)

more options

Chosen Solution

Don't bother with this one. The culprit is FoxLingo. If that is loaded, I get the Connecting... label in each tab. Disable it and back to normal. I don't know if this is some kind of bad interaction with another extension or whether it will still happen if I disable everything except FoxLingo, but that'll be somebody else's problem. I'll let the FoxLingo developer(s) know about it.