firefox and downloads freeze unless cursor is moving
Firefox (and downloads) freeze unless cursor is moving. What is the problem, and how do I fix this? I have experienced this in the past and I think it resolved upon reboot, but I have tried numerous times without success today. Pages even stop loading unless the cursor is moving (i.e., I move my finger around the touchpad). I am running FF5.0 on Win7 Home Premium, SP1 with 6GB RAM.
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
This started when...
for no apparent reason.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
Hi cor-el. I actually found another thread here with some folks who also suggested disabling add-ons. This worked for about half a day, then the problem returned (with add-ons still disabled). I then restored to a previous state (Win7), which meant only nullifying 1 uninstall, in effect re-installing an insignificant program (a plumbing spec calculator). I scanned also and found no malicious items. It is working now and with add-ons enabled. So, I am left to consider the uninstall. I plan to uninstall this again at some point. I will post back if I have anything interesting to report.