I have an unwanted cymbal-like clanging sound every few minutes while browsing.
I'm using Firefox 3.16.17 on Windows XP. While browsing my computer has begun to clang with an annoying cymbol like sound very couple of minutes. It sounds like an alert of some kind but I have no idea what. It is very annoying. It usually starts up four or five minutes after I start browsing and then continues until I'm finished.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
One week ago.
- Plug-in for Starfield utilities
- Plug-in for Web-Based Email
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- Google Update
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20110420 Firefox/3.6.17 GTB7.1 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, after following the steps you recommended, the clanging noise is still there. It seems to happen when a website is addressed or landed upon but not all the time. I appears to be mostly random but I'm quite sure it's a signal of some action taking place.
Modified by Daveidaho
I am having this same problem. Have tried all sorts of remedies but to no avail. Whenever you get an idea of what this is please let us know. thx
I noticed that I had set up the alert box plug-in to use a cymbol crash sound: chrome://alertbox/skin/sound/BellSplash.ogg Unchecking the box solved that issue for me.