Right click "Save Image As.." now no longer works
Version 77.0.1. Yesterday everything was OK. Today right click "Save Image.." no longer works. I tried to disable all add-ons, tried to do it in Safe Mode. Nothing works. Chrome doesn't have that problem.
All Replies (10)
Please clear history, caches and cookies. Then open a new browser window.
No. It did not work. In fact that pop-up dialog box for "Save Image as..." finally comes up.... in around 10 minutes. Weird. I never had such delays before
Hi ezoooo, are other file browsing dialogs affected? For example:
- Ctrl+s => Save Page As
- Ctrl+o => Open File
If restarting Firefox in its Safe Mode didn't help, you might consider doing a regular shut down and restart of Windows to see whether that helps Firefox get back in rhythm with the system dialogs.
Ctrl-s affected Ctrl-o not affected
I already tried to shutdown and restart Firefox. Did not help
And I restarted PC as well
Does it make any difference if you open the page or the image in a private window and try saving from there? This should bypass Firefox's memory of previous save locations and default to the Downloads folder.
Yes. That option works. And I think I know why. Last saved location was a remote PC when I was on VPN session with my work. I think Firefox is trying to access it and because I am not longer on VPN it can't, so it creates a long delay. But how can I erase from Firefox memory last saved location ?
Hi ezoooo, you read my mind.
First thing to try:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.
(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste down*dir and pause while the list is filtered
(3) On the row with the browser.download.lastDir preference, if that points to the inaccessible location, click the garbage can at the right end to remove it. Alternately, you can replace it with the path listed in the browser.download.dir preference or just C:\ by double-click to display an editing field, making the change, then pressing Enter or click the blue check mark button to save the change.
More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox.
Second thing to try:
"Site preferences" such as upload/download folders and zoom levels are stored in a giant database filed called content-prefs.sqlite stored in your profile folder. I recently noticed my was approaching 1GB so I renamed it and am starting again. Turns out most of what it stores isn't essential to my life after all. If you want to try it, here's how:
Open your current Firefox settings (AKA Firefox profile) folder using either
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" Help > Troubleshooting Information
- (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
- type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter/Return
In the first table on the page, on the Profile Folder row, click the "Open Folder" button. This should launch a new window listing various files and folders in Windows Explorer.
Leaving that window open, switch back to Firefox and Exit, either:
- "3-bar" menu button > Exit
- (menu bar) File > Exit
Pause while Firefox finishes its cleanup, then rename content-prefs.sqlite to something like content-prefsOLD.sqlite (just in case).
When you start Firefox again, it will have forgotten one global setting, if you adjusted the default zoom level on the Options page. Otherwise, you'll mainly notice Firefox needs to be retrained on site-specific zoom levels and save locations.
Yes. It made a trick. Thank you for your help.