Fix problems that cause images to not show
If you are experiencing difficulty downloading or viewing images through Firefox, follow the troubleshooting instructions below.
This article applies to:
- Still image file formats such as PNG, GIF, and JPG
- Animated file formats like animated GIF
This article does not apply to the following formats:
- Video, such as MPG, WMV, and AVI. For more information, see Fix common audio and video issues.
- Animated content that is displayed through a plugin, such as the Flash plugin. Learn more in Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems.
Table of Contents
Clear cookies and cache
Sometimes problems loading websites can be fixed by clearing the cookies and cache.
- Click the menu button , choose and select .
- In the Time Range to clear: drop-down, select Everything.
- Click the arrow next to Details to display the list of items that can be cleared.
- Select both Cookies and Cache.
- Click .
Check image permissions
Firefox allows you to prevent images from loading for certain websites to make pages load faster. If you are having trouble viewing images:
- Click the menu button and choose . .
- OptionsPreferences window, select the panel.
- Make sure there is a check mark next to Load images automatically
- Click on next to Load images automatically to open the Exceptions - Images window.
- In the Exceptions - Images window, look at the list of sites. Make sure the sites with which you're having trouble are not in the list.
- Click to closeClose the Exceptions - Images window.
- Close the about:preferences page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.
Check image permissions for a specific website
Firefox allows you to prevent images from loading for certain websites to make pages load faster. If you are having trouble viewing images for a specific website:
Some Internet security software (including antivirus and anti-spyware programs, firewalls, privacy programs, and others) may identify and block certain images as web bugs or may prevent images from animating. Check the settings for your Internet security program to make sure it allows images to load.
Images load the first time but not later
The RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension (installed with RealPlayer) can cause Firefox to show images correctly upon the first visit to a website, but not on subsequent visits or refreshes. Disabling this extension will fix the problem.
- Open the RealPlayer program.
- Go to the menu and click on .
- Go to the section and uncheck the option Enable Web Download & Recording for these installed browsers.
- Click .
Or see the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for instructions on how to disable or uninstall extensions in Firefox.
Images load but look wrong
If images on websites load, but don't look right or don't look the way they do in other browsers:
- If you are using any sort of web accelerator software, disable it and see if images load properly. For more information, see the documentation that came with the software.
- If the image area shows text or some form of gibberish, see the MozillaZine Knowledge Base article Page displays as gibberish.
Other reasons why images may not load
- The site that displays the images may be down or experiencing difficulties. To verify, try loading the site from a different computer or browser.
- Some pathnames to images contain backslashes (e.g. example.com\MyImage.jpg). In browsers other than Internet Explorer, these pathnames do not load. If you see that the image's URL contains a backslash, contact the site's webmaster about the issue.
- You may have modified one of your Firefox preference settings which is causing images not to show. You can either reset all preferences or else try the following:
In the address bar, type about:config and press EnterReturn.
- The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click to continue to the about:config page.
- Find browser.display.use_document_colors in the list of preferences. It should be set to true by default.
- Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click on the preference if its value has been set to false and select .
Images still do not load correctly
If you have tried all of the solutions in this article and images or animations still don't load correctly then try these solutions:
- Try resetting Firefoxrefreshing Firefox.
- Use the Profile Manager to create a new Firefox profile.
- Follow the other steps in the Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems article.
Based on information from Images or animations do not load (mozillaZine KB)