Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Hi There: all of the sudden Thunderbird version 60.6.1 (32 Bit) is asking for a password

Zathus

Hi There:

All of the sudden Thunderbi


My configuration is to imap to gmail using TLS/STARTTLS:587.  

My iPhone which uses the same configuration is connecting fine to my gmail account.

Any ideas?

It was working just fine this morning, I was sending and receiving emails, and then around 10AM EDT, I got the Login to server imap.gmail.com with username xxxxxx failed.

Hi There: All of the sudden Thunderbi My configuration is to imap to gmail using TLS/STARTTLS:587. My iPhone which uses the same configuration is connecting fine to my gmail account. Any ideas? It was working just fine this morning, I was sending and receiving emails, and then around 10AM EDT, I got the Login to server imap.gmail.com with username xxxxxx failed.

All Replies (1)

Chosen Solution

I figured it out. Gmail uses 2 step authentication, Thunderbird doesnt support it(?). So I created an APP password and used that password for Thunderbird and its all working.

The weird thing is why did it happen.

That rhetorical.

Paul