How to Use Attachments
Table of Contents
Attachments are files that are sent along with an email message. Almost any type of file can be sent via email, including videos, music, pictures, and documents. However, some restrictions are placed on attachments, such as a file size and permissible file extensions.
How to Add Attachments to a Message
- Compose a new message.
- Click on
- Browse to the location of the file you would like to attach.
- Select the desired file and click .
- Repeat until all the desired files are added.
Alternatively, you can drag and drop files from your desktop, file explorer and various other applications to the top right corner of a message.
Most email providers (including Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo) restrict the type and size of attachments. File type restrictions prevent malicious content from being passed along. Size limitations prevent very large attachments from being sent, which would tie up the mail servers and the client applications.
File size restrictions among common email providers include:
- Hotmail: 25 MB
- Gmail: 25 MB
- Yahoo: 25MB
Commonly restricted file types include:
- "ade", "adp", "bat", "chm", "cmd", "com", "cpl", "exe", "hta", "ins", "isp", "jse", "lib", "mde", "msc", "msp", "mst", "pif", "scr", "sct", "shb", "sys", "vb", "vbe", "vbs", "vxd", "wsc", "wsf", "wsh"
The attachments indicator is a paperclip. It will appear next to any message, sent or received, that has an attachment.
- Open the message containing the attachment(s).
- A summary of the attachments will appear at the bottom of the message.
- Use the button to save the attachment.
- The expanded menu provides the following options:
- Open - Opens the file with the default application associated with the file type.
- Save as... - Saves the file in a location of your choosing.
- Detach - Saves the file in a location of your choosing before prompting you to detach the file from the email.
- Delete - Prompts you to delete the attachment from the email.
To manipulate all the attachments associated with a message, go toand select one of the following options:
- Open All...
- Save All...
- Detach All...
- Delete All...
Share this article: http://mzl.la/1BsOCjh