Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Firefox delays loading of websites even after major reset

remonator

Hi, I'm having a problem with my Firefox loading major websites like Gmail, Facebook etc.. The loading time of these just went terribly slow... And when a webpage like these is finally displayed, it still keeps loading for a very long time, and navigation the page itself is very laggy. For example, if I type in a simple search query for a Google-search in my URL-Bar, when I hit Enter it takes more than 7 seconds until the results are displayed..! And even after that, the page is still loading for a few seconds. Strangely it works fine in other browsers.

I already tried the following approaches: - Reinstalling Firefox and deleting all Mozilla-related content in AppData - Using Firefox in Safe Mode with diabled add-ons - Disabling and Enabling the hardware acceleration - Disabling and Enabling access for accessiblilty services

After reinstalling and restoring my basic browsing data through Sync it works fine, until I start Firefox for the second time. It's the first time I encounter a problem like this. Any ideas?

Hi, I'm having a problem with my Firefox loading major websites like Gmail, Facebook etc.. The loading time of these just went terribly slow... And when a webpage like these is finally displayed, it still keeps loading for a very long time, and navigation the page itself is very laggy. For example, if I type in a simple search query for a Google-search in my URL-Bar, when I hit Enter it takes more than 7 seconds until the results are displayed..! And even after that, the page is still loading for a few seconds. Strangely it works fine in other browsers. I already tried the following approaches: - Reinstalling Firefox and deleting all Mozilla-related content in AppData - Using Firefox in Safe Mode with diabled add-ons - Disabling and Enabling the hardware acceleration - Disabling and Enabling access for accessiblilty services After reinstalling and restoring my basic browsing data through Sync it works fine, until I start Firefox for the second time. It's the first time I encounter a problem like this. Any ideas?
Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

thanks, it appears that avast is involved in this slow-down unfortunately. can you try to remove it for testing purposes once?

All Replies (6)

hi, could you capture and share a performance profile while this is happening once? https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Performance/Reporting_a_Performance_Problem

Hope I did it right, but have a look here:

https://perfht.ml/2EtTcUk

yep thanks, what happened during that profile - did you just try to load a particular website or did you observe the slowness while entering search terms?

I started capturing, quickly entered a short search term into the URL bar, and stopped as soon as the Google result page was loaded...

Chosen Solution

thanks, it appears that avast is involved in this slow-down unfortunately. can you try to remove it for testing purposes once?

Hey, I just wanted to deactivate Avast when I saw that there was an update pending for Avast, so I decided to do that first. Installed, rebooted.... Now my Firefox works fine again! :-) So it seems there was something wrong with that previous Avast version that had an impact on Firefox.

Thank you so much, I'll remember to check my anti-virus first next time