This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Can't remove yahoo search bar from browser toolbar
I just installed the newest version of Firefox and there's a yahoo search toolbar (with the yahoo logo, a search box, and a mail icon) under my normal bookmarks toolbar that won't go away. It's not showing up as an extension or add-on, and I can't right click to delete it. How do I remove this?
All Replies (2)
Did you install Firefox from the Mozilla server?
Do a clean reinstall of the current Firefox release and delete the Firefox program folder before installing a fresh copy of the current Firefox release.
- download the Firefox installer and save the file to the desktop
If possible uninstall your current Firefox version to cleanup the Windows Registry and settings in security software.
- do NOT remove "personal data" when you uninstall the current Firefox version, because this will remove all profile folders and you lose personal data like bookmarks and passwords including data in profiles created by other Firefox versions
Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.
- (64-bit Firefox) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"
- (32-bit Firefox) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\"
- it is important to delete the Firefox program folder to remove all the files and make sure there are no problems with files that were leftover after uninstalling
Your personal data like bookmarks is stored in the Firefox profile folder, so you won't lose personal data when you uninstall and reinstall or update Firefox, but make sure NOT to remove personal data when you uninstall Firefox as that will remove all Firefox profile folders and you lose your personal data.
If you keep having problems then you can create a new profile to test if your current profile is causing the problem.
Yahoo Search is a legitimate search engine, but this sounds like search.yahoo.com, which is a browser hijacker. Even though this doesn't show up in your add-ons, would you do this anyway :
Go to the 3-bar menu (or 'Tools') => Addons => Extensions and look for any unfamiliar or suspicious looking extensions, like e.g. :
• SafeSearch Incognito • SearchAssist Incognito • File Convertor and Search Addon
When you find any : remove them.
Do the same in Windows' Control Panel => Programs.
However : most malware will be 'hiding' somewhere , so let's run malware scans :
Further information can be found in this article :
Run most or all of the listed malware scanners.
They all work differently - what one program doesn't pick up, the other might.
Also see : https://malwaretips.com/blogs/yahoo-toolbar-removal/
Modified by Enigma