After HDD crash - how to recover synced data in Firefox 28?
My last device with synched data had a HDD failure... needed a replacement, reinstalled Windows and Firefox.
Now I want to add my reinstalled Firefox, sync the tons of synched Favorites and passwords to my device and afterwards upgrade it to the "new" sync account.
Any way to add a new device to the sync account?
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.40.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft Lync
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.10
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.1.3
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
hello, you can go to firefox options > sync panel. click on set up firefox sync > i have an account > i don't have the device with me where you can enter your existing credentials.
if this worked and you could import your data successfully, please migrate to the new sync afterwards: Sync your Firefox bookmarks, history, passwords and more
First - I trust that you were using Firefox 28 (or older) on your "last device".
2nd, do have another connected device on that Sync Account where you can get use Pair a Device?
Or, do you have all three of these? Email address for your Sync account. The Password for that account. The Sync Key for your account (aka Recovery Key).
If so, see this: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/add-a-device-to-firefox-sync
Thanks a million for your fast reply! I followed it through, but in the end I either need another paired device, which I have not, or to create a new key which results in erasing all stored data :-(
The frameshot attached to this post explains, that the data is encrypted and only paired devices have the key...
Now I know :-/
Again, thanks for your effort, what a pity when both paired clients "die" within the same couple of days. But with the new sync this problem will be history.
I deleted your screenshot because you don't want people to know your recovery key ;)
Make sure you update to Firefox 36.0.1 and then update to the new sync Sync your Firefox bookmarks, history, passwords and more