How to remove Vosteran from computer
Noticed Vosteran on computer today. Please tell me how to get rid of it and go back to Firefox
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 15.0 r0
- Picasa plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.03
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
Could you check your download history to see whether you can figure out where it came from?
Meanwhile, here's what I suggest for tracking down a bad add-on:
(1) Start with the Windows Control Panel, Uninstall a Program. After the list loads, click the "Installed on" column heading to group the infections, I mean, additions, by date. This can help in smoking out undisclosed bundle items that snuck in with some software you agreed to install. Take out as much trash as possible here.
(2) Then, in Firefox, open the Add-ons page using either:
- "3-bar" menu button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons
In the left column, click Plugins. Set nonessential and unrecognized plugins to "Never Activate".
In the left column, click Extensions. Then, if in doubt, disable (or Remove, if possible) unrecognized and unwanted extensions.
Often a link will appear above at least one disabled extension to restart Firefox. You can complete your work on the tab and click one of the links as the last step.
(3) Search for remaining issues with the scanning/cleaning tools listed in our support article: Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware. Note that the tools are free and take considerable time to run. If they seem to finish quickly and then ask for payment, you might have a Fake AV infection. Please use the specialized forums listed in the article in that case.
Some additional steps you might need to take:
(4) Clean a hijacked shortcut. According to online articles about Vosteran, it might modify your Firefox shortcut, the icon you use to start Firefox. You can check and fix that as follows: right-click the icon, choose Properties, then the Shortcut tab. The "Target" for 32-bit Windows 7 should be no more and no less than the following:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
If there is extra stuff on the line after that, clear it out.
(5) Reselect your preferred search engine using Firefox's search bar. This article has the steps: Search the Web on Firefox.
(6) If clicking the Home button on the toolbar, or launching a new window using Ctrl+n, goes to an unwanted page, you can update your home page using the steps in these articles:
Specific instructions for How to remove Vosteran.com Search (Removal Guide).