with the new update: I click on .pdf to download and multiple new tabs open w/o downloading .pdf file
Every time I click to download a .pdf file for a study on the following site
Firefox opens multiple new tabs and does not stop doing so until I close the browser and even then it opens up on its own and continues to open multiple new tabs. If I do not get to it quickly enough, I may have to do this more than twice.
I have tried downloading a study on Internet Explorer and do not have this issue. There is also a Microsoft Word option that works on Firefox but it's the .pdf that is the problem.
I have not attempted to download any other .pdf files from other sites so I do not know if it is a problem with all .pdf files. But as stated above, it is not an issue with .pdf on IE.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 14.0 r0
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.07
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 188.8.131.52
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.6
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.206
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- Unity Player 3.4.0f5
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
Could you check your PDF viewer preference and try changing it to a different viewer to see whether that helps? This article describes how to access that setting: How to disable the built-in PDF viewer and use another viewer.
Unfortunately, the settings file that stores those application handling preferences sometimes contains crossed up settings or settings which Firefox cannot actually implement. In that case, you generally need to rename or remove that file and let Firefox rebuild it. The steps for that are in this article: Firefox repeatedly opens empty tabs or windows after you click on a link -- skip to the section "Reset actions for all content types".
You get tabs opening endlessly if you select the Firefox program to handle a file when you get an "Open with" dialog.
You will have to remove this file action in "Tools > Options > Applications" or possibly rename (or delete) the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox profile folder to reset all file actions.