X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

Spelling extension keeps switching between being incompatible and being OK after a restart

Posted

Sometimes when I want to send an email, the spelling checker (British English 1.19.1) comes up with blank boxes. If I check the add-ons, it says that it is incompatible with Thunderbird 24.3.0. If I then check for updates to the spelling checker, it immediately changes to saying that it will work after a restart. That resolves the problem for a while but it can recur a few days later and I have to go through the whole process again.

Sometimes when I want to send an email, the spelling checker (British English 1.19.1) comes up with blank boxes. If I check the add-ons, it says that it is incompatible with Thunderbird 24.3.0. If I then check for updates to the spelling checker, it immediately changes to saying that it will work after a restart. That resolves the problem for a while but it can recur a few days later and I have to go through the whole process again.

Chosen solution

Thanks for the reply. Further to the information you have given, it seems that the dictionary was updated from v 1.19.1 and is now at v 1.19.5. However, it is now called "British English Dictionary (Updated)" and is listed as a different add-on. It seems that it has been picked up and continued by a new developer. There is even another version called "British English Dictionary (Forked by Marco Pinto)" at v 2.09, although I haven't tried it.

To further add to the confusion, v 1.19.1 was added to Thunderbird as an "extension" while v 1.19.5 is added as a "dictionary".

I finally solved the problem by removing the old v 1.19.1 extension and installing the new v 1.19.5 dictionary and it now works as it used to.

Read this answer in context 0

Additional System Details

Application

  • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0

More Information

guigs 1072 solutions 11697 answers

Hi hughtmccullough,

Thank you for posting your question in the SUMO forum. It looks like that is the last update: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thun.../british-english-dictionary/ and it has not been updated since 2010.

If this is the only add on you have, it is possible to disable the addon update check: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions#Completely_disab...

You can check the update history of the add on in the Advanced Options menu as well. That may give more information as to why it keeps doing this as well.

I hope this helps.

Hi hughtmccullough, Thank you for posting your question in the SUMO forum. It looks like that is the last update: [https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary/] and it has not been updated since 2010. If this is the only add on you have, it is possible to disable the addon update check: [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions#Completely_disabling_the_compatibility_check] You can check the update history of the add on in the Advanced Options menu as well. That may give more information as to why it keeps doing this as well. I hope this helps.

Chosen Solution

Thanks for the reply. Further to the information you have given, it seems that the dictionary was updated from v 1.19.1 and is now at v 1.19.5. However, it is now called "British English Dictionary (Updated)" and is listed as a different add-on. It seems that it has been picked up and continued by a new developer. There is even another version called "British English Dictionary (Forked by Marco Pinto)" at v 2.09, although I haven't tried it.

To further add to the confusion, v 1.19.1 was added to Thunderbird as an "extension" while v 1.19.5 is added as a "dictionary".

I finally solved the problem by removing the old v 1.19.1 extension and installing the new v 1.19.5 dictionary and it now works as it used to.

Thanks for the reply. Further to the information you have given, it seems that the dictionary was updated from v 1.19.1 and is now at v 1.19.5. However, it is now called "British English Dictionary (Updated)" and is listed as a different add-on. It seems that it has been picked up and continued by a new developer. There is even another version called "British English Dictionary (Forked by Marco Pinto)" at v 2.09, although I haven't tried it. To further add to the confusion, v 1.19.1 was added to Thunderbird as an "extension" while v 1.19.5 is added as a "dictionary". I finally solved the problem by removing the old v 1.19.1 extension and installing the new v 1.19.5 dictionary and it now works as it used to.
cor-el
  • Top 10 Contributor
  • Moderator
17470 solutions 157890 answers
See also: *https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary--1/