how do you stop websites from automaticly redirecting to other sites?
there are a few websites i use that have lately been automaticly redirecting to other unrelated sites the moment i go to the site. for example one site i watch shows on has been redirecting to a brasilian adoby website and i have to quickly stop the page from loading half way through to stop it from happening, the site works fine if i time it right. i know firefox has pop up blockers, so i was woundering if it can block these bothersome redirects?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0 Waterfox/24.0
It may be possible an add-on may be causing this or that you may have malware. Let's start off but trying safe mode:
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- On Windows you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- On Mac you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the option key while starting Firefox.
- On Linux you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by quitting Firefox and then going to your Terminal and running: firefox -safe-mode (you may need to specify the Firefox installation path e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
- Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
Sometimes a problem with Firefox may be a result of malware installed on your computer, that you may not be aware of.
You can try these free programs to scan for malware, which work with your existing antivirus software:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner
- MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
- TDSSKiller - AntiRootkit Utility
- Hitman Pro
- ESET Online Scanner
Microsoft Security Essentials is a good permanent antivirus for Windows 7/Vista/XP if you don't already have one.
Further information can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Modified by Diego Victor
thank you for suggesting safe mode, im still not sure what the problem was, but after i ran safe mode to try and figure it out, i havent had the issue. it buggs me i couldnt figure it out, but im glad its working normaly again anyway haha
Verify your addons maybe one of them is the problem, try disable one by one until you find what is the problem
If it happens again the also try to clear the cache and cookies. "Clear the Cache":
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems or all cookies:
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"