How can I restore a backup from my bookmarks from firefox in Windows Vista to Firefox in Windows 8 (version 21) my previous laptop has been stolen
My laptop has been stolen and I made a backup of the bookmarks on a additional hardddisk.
I bought a new computer with Windows 8 on it but my backup has been made on a firefox version compattable with windows Vista.
How can I restore the backup from the bookmarks on my new computer with Windows 8 firefox version 21 It appears that I can only import HTLM bookmarks.
The backup from Firefox was made on January 30,2013
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700
- MindSpark Toolbar Platform Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- McAfee MSC FF plugin DLL
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0
Sorry to hear about your laptop.
There are three different files you might have available, depending on how you made your backup:
- A file in the JSON format (file name usually ending with .json). This is a full backup that can be restored (not imported) and will replace whatever you have currently. See: Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer.
- A file in HTML format (file name usually ending with .htm or .html). This is an export file that you should be able to import. See: Import Bookmarks from an HTML file.
- A places.sqlite database file. This would contain your bookmarks and history as of the time it was copied. You can't easily extract data from the file, but you could drop it into your new settings folder to use it in place of the bookmarks and history you currently have.
Does that help?
There also are add-ons (e.g., FEBE) and external programs (e.g., MozBackup) you might have used to create a backup, potentially in other formats such as ZIP archives or other compressed files. To restore those, you usually need to install that same add-on or external program.
The bookmark files I backuped has a file extension pcv
Can you help me further to solve this problem
Sounds like MozBackup. I don't have any personal experience with it, but here are a couple of links:
- You can install from here: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/.
- The unofficial site mozillaZine has an article about how to restore your backup: http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozBackup.