Firefox has crashed 20 times in 3 hours. Why?
Every time I open it, it crashes within five minutes. It's crashed 20 times in the time span of a little over 3 hours. I've tried updating my plug-ins, updating Firefox, ran a scan through my computer, and checked to see if the crash happened during safe mode(it did).
My Crash Report ID: bp-c9df9278-90c7-463f-bde9-3413e2130220
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1312.57 Safari/537.17
These crashes on Windows 8 are currently being investigated.
Probably the only solution for now is to downgrade to Firefox 18.0.2
- bug 830531 - [Win8] crash in XPC_WN_Helper_NewResolve mainly with AMD Radeon HD 6290/6310/6320/7290/7310/7340
(please do not comment in bug reports: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html)
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox and any leftover program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps one by one:
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu) and confirm all upcoming messages.
- Now, uninstall Firefox by following the steps mentioned in the Uninstall Firefox article.
IMPORTANT: On Windows, the uninstaller has the option to remove your personal data and settings. Make sure that you do not check this option; otherwise all of your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, user customizations and other Firefox user profile data will be removed from your computer.
After uninstalling Firefox on Windows, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" program folder, located by default in one of these locations:
- (On 32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- (On 64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Go to the Windows Start menu and click on "Computer".
- In the Explorer window that opens, double click Local Disk (C:) to open the C:\ drive.
- Find the "Program Files (x86)" folder or "Program Files" folder.
- On 32-bit Windows, double-click the Program Files folder to open it.
- On 64-bit Windows, you will see a "Program Files (x86)" folder AND a "Program Files" folder. Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
- Look for a Mozilla Firefox folder. If you find one, right-click it and select Delete and confirm that you want to move the folder to the Recycle Bin.
Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
I am using FF 20.0 with Windows XP SP3. Since I upgraded to 20 this morning. FF has crashed 3 times on me. No new add-on or changes have been made to FF. It seems there's a bug somewhere in the new version. Maybe Mozilla rushed it out too soon for the 15th Anniversary without testing it thoroughly?
When I was using FF 19.0.2, FF crashed occasionally, mostly because of the plug-in container for Adobe Flash. But now, FF 20.0 crashed without any specific reason.
Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.
Silk, please start a new thread with your crash ID.
OK, I will when it crashed again.
I searched the forum for posts on FF 20 and this one came up, so I thought this was for FF 20. I looked at the crash report and noticed that it was for FF 19.0. Sorry.