I cannot download to win8- gets to 99% then nothing;sometimes says windows smart screen says unrecognised app
I cannot download to win8- gets to 99% then nothing;sometimes says windows smart screen says unrecognised app
Chosen Solution
Thanks all - my solution was to download version 17 rather than the current version 18 & all works fine. I haven't tried updating to 18 as yet but I thinkI read somewhere that version 18 isnt completely compatible with win8. Anyway I also removed McAfee parent control post download FFv17 as it was a pain!
All Replies (6)
You can't download Firefox, or Firefox can't download files?
Regarding Firefox, are you getting the installer from the official site? https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#desktop
If you are getting this message when you are downloading files with Firefox, the issue could be the security integration.
Windows and IE have built-in technology to block suspicious downloads. If you want to bypass that (at your own risk!), you can change a setting in Firefox.
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.
(2) In the filter box, type or paste scan and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to toggle its value from true to false.
Firefox will no longer flag downloaded files for review by Windows or your antivirus. Obviously you should exercise additional care in downloading.
Thanks - to clarify - I cannot download Firefox itself - its a new Vaoi laptop. Initially I was unable to download Firefox browser then one day I could. But then due to other issues Sony said I should do a recovery from the recovery area ie reload I presume Win8 onto the laptop. Now unable to download FF again. I get to 99% & 1 second to go then it hangs. I tried pause & restart but the 1% wont dowenload. Have tried several times including post turning off/on.
I have the same problem. I've downloaded Mozilla from the official site http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
The problem is caused by McAfee parent control. I've unistalled the application and now everything works fine. I can download any application without problem. Hope it helps
It is possible that anti-virus software is corrupting downloaded files or is otherwise interfering with downloading files.
Try to disable the real-time (live) scanning of files in your anti-virus software temporarily to see if that makes downloading work.
See:
- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files
- browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone
Chosen Solution
Thanks all - my solution was to download version 17 rather than the current version 18 & all works fine. I haven't tried updating to 18 as yet but I thinkI read somewhere that version 18 isnt completely compatible with win8. Anyway I also removed McAfee parent control post download FFv17 as it was a pain!