DownloadHelper no longer shows with Firefox; how can I get its display back?
The add-on DownloadHelper normally would show up in the upper left corner of the Firefox opening page, in one of the bars _ I don't know a name for the bar. I have installed DownloadHelper but nothing is showing. How do I get it back?
I did just drag it into place. Restarting the browser hasn't changed anything _ I start and close the browser (Firefox) multiple times daily since I use it in a form of research. Perhaps I didn't put the icon in the right place. In any event, I can access DownloadHelper from Tools _ not as handy, but workable. Many thanks for all the help.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Picasa plugin
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- HP Product Detection Plugin
- HP Active Check Plugin
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 126.96.36.1994
- DivX Plus Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
First make sure DownloadHelper is really installed: go to Firefox menu "Tools" and check there is a "DownloadHelper" entry. If so and you don't have the icon in the toolbar, click Firefox menu View/Toolbars/Customize. This opens the toolbar palette dialog. Locate the DownloadHelper icon and drag it back to the desired location in the toolbar.
Many thanks. Almost there with the solution. I've followed your directions, and the DownloadHelper now shows _ but it isn't animated as it used to be. There used to be an option for seeing all the available video sites and/or for seeing the one that was running and available for download. Currently, the only option is to see all available video sites. It was great to be able to click on the title of the video that was showing and have it downloaded directly without additional steps. Can I get that back too? Or maybe has DownloadHelper changed?
If you do not see an item on a toolbar and in the toolbar palette then click the "Restore Default Set" button to restore the default toolbar set up.
You can check for problems with the localstore.rdf file if this didn't help.
If you get the DownloadHelper in the toolbar, it shoud animate when there is a video you can download and you should get the little triangle next to the icon to open the menu showing the videos. If you just dragged the icon from the toolbar palette, maybe you could try to restart the browser to get the icon work normally.
I did just drag it into place. Restarting the browser hasn't changed anything _ I start and close the browser (Firefox) multiple times daily since I use it in a form of research. Perhaps I didn't put the icon in the right place. In any event, I can access DownloadHelper from Tools _ not as handy, but workable. Many thanks for all the help.
That's strange, maybe there is another addon colliding with the DownloadHelper toolbar icon. Please note you can also invoke DownloadHelper from: - the browser context menu (right click in the page) - the addon bar (the toolbar at the bottom of the browser) but this bar is not visible by default (click Firefox menu View/Toolbars/Addon bar to enable)