This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Tried everything to remove Claro-Search! It keeps returning when restarting browser! What do i do? help!
Hi my computer is infected with the browser hijacker called claro-search. I've done some research on it and have tried many fixes but it still keeps coming back.
What I've tried: Adware Cleaner Malware bytes Restarting in safe mode going to about:config and typing in claro-search then clicking reset to the search results. Troubleshooting information and resetting Firefox Going to the Profile folder under troubleshooting information and deleting the chromeappsstore.sqlite file
Does anyone have other suggestions as to what i should do?
All Replies (3)
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
The fastest way I could find is to manually edit the registry key.
- On the Windows start button, search programs and files for"regedit" and open it
- Under "edit" select find and in the dialogue box that opens type "claro" and click find next
- regedit will now find the firstregistry key the contains the letter sequence "claro" - do check that the sequence is not just some small part of a longer word but I found 5 or 6 entries related to ClaroLTD...delete the entry and confirm
- Hit F3 and regedit will find the next entry - repeat until all claro entries have been deleted.
- close regedit
Normal service should resume...