Installed the Java patch for MAC yesterday and immediately could not get adobe reader to show pdf files...have troubleshot and can't seem to remedy ...ideas?
I have used the Firefox troubleshooting guides, no good. The Java patch is enabled and shows when I check applications. However when I run Firefox plugins it still shows the java plug in is outdated and need to be updated immediately.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 10.1.3
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.15
- Version 184.108.40.20630
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- BlackBerry AppWorld plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5.9
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Office Live Update v1.0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
Have you looked at the View PDF files in Firefox Knowledge Base article? There is a lot of useful information in there. It actually lists two different plugins to try for opening PDF files. I'd try both of them just to be safe.
Hopefully this helps!
Apple released another Java update today for Mac OS X 10.7, Java for OS X Lion 2012-003 in case it helps. More here:
About the security content of Java for OS X 2012-003 and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 8
Modified by AliceWyman
Thanks for taking the time to write back. I did not know yet about the second Java fix. Just updated,but unfortunately it did not do the trick, ugh.
OK, I went to the Firefox knowledge base article you cited and followed the directions with the exception that in the drop down menu I choose Adobe Reader for PDF files rather than the plug in default that apparently was set by the Java patch. Problem solved !!!!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to get me back to the basic place I needed to be to correct this issue. YOU ROCK!!!!
No problem mrwdrule. Always happy to help :)