I can't print selected text in a Print dialogue box in Yahoo mail or my bank site. I used to, now I can't.
I am having this problem both in my online banking site and when using Yahoo Mail. When I click on Print on either of these sites and then close the Print dialogue box that automatically comes up, highlight just the text I want printed, then hit Ctrl+P and choose Selection, Print Preview shows me a blank page. When I try printing the selection using either of the 2 printers I have, it prints a blank page. And yet when I do the same thing in Internet Explorer, I have no trouble printing the text I want. I tried doing the prefs.js troubleshoot, deleting everything in that file that starts with print, but it made no difference. I used to be able to print this way in Firefox no problem, but now it doesn't work. Why not, and how do I get it to work again? I'm using Windows XP and Firefox 11.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
About a week ago
- Google Update
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.0"
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Provides additional functionality on Facebook. See our web site for details.
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
A bug was introduced in the latest version of Firefox that affects printing selections that are inside a table. Because many pages use tables for general layout (without displaying the borders), this may appear to strike at random.
A fix is expected in Firefox 12. More information: how to get print selection to work | Firefox Support Forum | Firefox Help
If you expand your selection to include some content outside the table, then the feature should work, but of course it would include some unnecessary information.
Modified by jscher2000
Thanks for this, jscher. I'll stop trying to fix things at my end and just wait for April 24 when Firefox 12 comes out, I guess, and use Internet Explorer when I want to print a selection until then. The idea of choosing Print Selection is to get rid of the unnecessary information, so expanding the selection kind of defeats the whole purpose. There was mention that FF12 with the fix would be going to beta first; would I be notified of this, or is there someplace special I"d have to look for it?
You can install the beta version of Firefox from the "channels" page: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/#beta/beta-desktop
I don't know how best to do that, in other words, how to safely use beta for a while and then switch back to release channel. Hopefully you can find other advice here on the forum.