Firefox doesn't save web form entries
Firefox can remember what you've entered in forms on web pages, also known as text fields. After you've entered something into a form on a web page (such as a search box), the next time you visit that page, your previous entry should be available to re-use. If you find that you can't re-use your form entries, follow the instructions in this article.
- For more information on the form autocompletion feature, see the Control whether Firefox automatically fills in forms article.
Table of Contents
Autocomplete does not work on certain forms
If you find that Firefox will save form entries for forms on only some websites, but not on others, the site might be telling Firefox to not save form history. This is especially common on email and banking websites.
Autocomplete doesn't work on any forms
If you find that Firefox will not save any text you enter into forms, follow the instructions below.
Check Firefox settings
Make sure that Firefox is set to remember form entries and that saved form entries are not being automatically cleared:
- Click the menu button and choose . .
- Select the panel and go to the History section.
- In the drop-down menu next to Firefox will choose .
- Make sure that Remember search and form history is selected.
- Enabling form autocomplete also makes Firefox store search history for the Search bar.
- Find Clear history when Firefox closes. If it is selected:
- Click on the button.
- Make sure that Form & Search History is not selected.
- Click .
- Close the about:preferences page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.
If either of those options were not set properly, setting them as above should enable form autocomplete.
Check for conflicting extensions
If you find that Firefox's settings were correct, but autocomplete still doesn't work on any forms, check for conflicting extensions:
Click the menu button and choose . The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the panel.
- Look for one of these extensions known to conflict with form autocomplete and click on it to select it.
- RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin
- Click the button.
- Close the Add-ons Manager tab.
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
Click the Firefox menu , then click .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen, then click .Click the Firefox menu , then click .
If a conflicting extension was present, form autocomplete should work again after disabling it and starting Firefox again.
Check other programs' settings
Some Internet security software (including antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and privacy programs) will clear Firefox's form history. Check the settings for these programs if you have one or more of them.