unable to update older version of firefox, window opens and says its updating for over an hour
previously had firefox on my mac but haven't used it for a while. When openingd there was a message that said it needed updating. I started the update and the window said that it couldn't download the incremental version and would have to download whole update. Then a progress window opened and did that for over an hour. What do I do now
Additional System Details
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- Gecko default plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 188.8.131.52
- Office Live Update v1.0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
You should take a look at the Knowledge Base article Update Firefox to the latest version. There is a lot of good information in there and some troubleshooting steps as well.
If that doesn't work, you might want to try installing a fresh copy of Firefox:
I would suggest that you first back up your personal information and bookmarks, just in case. You can find details in the article Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles.
Hopefully this helps!
When you are that far behind with updates, it is just better to download the latest version and install it.