Lost/misdated history (dates in wrong date bucket)
I've written about this before, 8 months ago, see: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/821193 No response.
Firefox history is being placed into the wrong date bucket. I had approximately 6 months worth of dates in history. Sometimes today's info would go into a month 6 months' ago. Sometimes today's info will go into yesterday's date bucket.
I deleted places.sqlite and allowed the system to recreate it. The problem is still happening.
I'm using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3. All updates have been installed. Firefox version is 9.0.1.
- What determines what 'visited' date a history entry uses ... the computer date and time?? the software??
Other people seem to also be having this problem. Where can I report this as a bug??
further information in this thread https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/821193
Modified by the-edmeister
Additional System Details
A few times a week
This started when...
Version 4.0.1 and continued in a rollback to 3.6.17
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- CouponNetwork Coupon Activator
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.113
- IE Tab Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
I've stopped using Ccleaner on anything to do with Firefox. I manually delete the entries that are in the wrong date bucket. I was having a problem with the system date fluctuating on my old computer. I now have a computer that's 5 years newer.
Firefox has been freshly installed on this computer.
Three days ago, I deleted places.sqlite and let the system recreate the file. I now have two days' worth of data and I'm still getting today's entries filing under yesterday's date. This has been happening since version 3.6.17. When I view places.sqlite using (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mozilla_history_view.html), there is no problem with the way the data is showing in the places.sqlite. There's no duplication, there's no misdating. The problem seems to be only when viewing the history through the "History/Show All History" interface.
I sometimes use firefox on an XP and have not noticed that sortof problem. What makes you think others have this proble, the 4 votes on the last post ?
Widely seen problems often get hundreds of votes.
Bugs are tracked and dealt with in bugzilla, but you will need quite a lot of work to be able to show a reproducible problem before anyone is likely to be in a position to even look at such a problem. You should start by testing firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode and try to find the simplest case where this sort of thing occurs. To be honest you stand little chance of getting responses in this forum. Maybe try mozillazine http://forums.mozillazine.org/
Pardon me for suggesting this but are you sure you have the History "View" set as you wish it? "By Last Visited" instead of "By Most Visited", for example.
Your problem does seem more complicated than this but a different "View" setting might give you a more acceptable result.
Did you check that the clock on your computer has the correct date?
@John99: Thank you.
@alan_r: The column names are "Name", "Visit Date", and "Location". See screen capture. Items from today are going into yesterday date bucket. The screen capture was obtained this morning while I was working in "safe mode".
@cor-el: This is the third computer on which this has happened. Computer Number One (original post, 8 months ago) WAS having a problem with retaining the correct date. This computer does not have any problems with the system date.
As someone suggested, I used Firefox in safe mode this morning. The screen capture that I posted is the result of that screen capture ... still getting today's history going into yesterday's date bucket. When I had many more items in history 8 months ago, today's history was going into various date buckets ... even as far back as six months ago.
Modified by moose53
Try can try to verify the places database:
Thanks, Cor-el. I ran the CheckPlaces and the Places Maintenance. I'll see how that goes.
Appreciate the help.
I've tried all of the recommendations ... it's still happening.
I even tried a brand new, clean install of Firefox with a clean install of the addons (rather than adding the addons from a backup). Still no joy.
Misdated history happens every day, several times a day. Doesn't seem to be any particular thing that causes it.
I'm gonna try Mozillazine.
Thanks for all your suggestions/help.
Modified by moose53