Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

I was in "about:config" and may have accidentially changed the layout -- all my web pages do not have separating lines and some have no background. How do I undo this?

MDJonas

All the web pages have lost their separating lines and some background -- I've unistalled FireFox and reinstalled it, but the problem continues.

I may have changed something in "about:config" and don't know how to change it back.

All the web pages have lost their separating lines and some background -- I've unistalled FireFox and reinstalled it, but the problem continues. I may have changed something in "about:config" and don't know how to change it back.
Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

See also:

  • Tools > Options > Content : Fonts & Colors > Colors : [X] "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above"

Modified by cor-el

All Replies (3)

Hi,

Please try starting Firefox in Safe Mode and in the first window choose Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults and continue. This would reset all the preferences to their defaults.

or

If you remember at least part of the name of the preference, you can filter for that in about:config by starting to type the pref name in the Filter box. All modified (both manually and by add-ons) preferences appear in bold. To reset a single pref, right-click and Reset.

You may also want to try Disable all add-ons in the Safe Mode opening window and browse some sites after clearing the cache.

...............................................................................................................................

Useful links:

All about Tools > Options

Going beyond Tools > Options - about:config

about:config Entries

What's That Preference? add-on - Quickly decode about:config entries - After installation, go inside about:config, right-click any preference, enable (tick) MozillaZine Results to Panel and again right-click a pref and choose MozillaZine Reference to begin with.

Keyboard Shortcuts

Safe Mode

Problematic Extensions/Add-ons

Troubleshooting Extensions and Themes

Modified by Vivek

Thank you very much!! It worked perfectly...I'm back to the page layout I wanted.

Chosen Solution

See also:

  • Tools > Options > Content : Fonts & Colors > Colors : [X] "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above"

Modified by cor-el