Address Bar Doesn't show Url
Firefox 6 often does not show the URL in the address bar. Instead the address bar is empty or showing a 'maintenance url'. For example, this page currently shows about:config in the Address bar for me which I accessed previously in another tab. The current page is not showing THIS url.
Additional System Details
- IE Tab 2 Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
Happens occasionally not all the time. Mostly see this when multiple instances of FF are open, but sometimes (like right now) it also happens in a single instance.
Should not be happening if you display all of your tabs, but I'm afraid too much mucking around with things has made that happen. Open up another tab ("Ctrl+T") then return to the original tab, if it still doesn't show use "F5". I am assuming that this occurs when you have but a single tab open in that Window.
It's inconsistent. It works most of the time, but once it starts no navigation in any of the tabs of the browser will show URLs. I have to shut down and restart in order to get URLs back.
I can consistently reproduce this now with two instances of a browser open. First instance will open and show URLs fine. Second instance shows 'Go to a Web Site' and never changes in the Address bar.
On occasion though even the first/only instance will lose URLS in the same way.
FWIW, I've uninstalled then reinstalled, tried disabling all plug-ins but no change.
+++ Rick ---
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
You can also try to open a new window to see if that helps to get a working location bar.
I have the same issue, and it's intermittent. For what it's worth, the problem existed in version 5 also. Possibly related: Often the Back button is grayed out even when there's a history stack for the current tab. Right-clicking on the Back button correctly displays the N previous pages on the stack and selecting one works correctly also.
I'm having this same problem, but it hasn't surfaced until the 8.0 beta on Mac OS X 10.6.8. History shows up correctly, but normal backward or forward navigation is impossible and the URL is just gone as if I had opened a blank tab. Page Info (cmd+i) even shows the correct URL. Often clicking on a link fixes it (then just hit back to get the page working again).