firefox is not remembering my password
Firefox is not remembering my password even though it asks me to remember it each time I visit a particular site. Firefox remembers my passwords for all other sites just fine. I looked in the Password Manager and I can see the password listed, but for some reason Firefox does not remember the password when I go to log into the site. Why isn't the password being remembered even though it is listed in Password Manager?
Additional System Details
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- npmnqmp 071701000001
- WebEx General Plugin Container Version 172
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 202
- Simplifies the uploading of photo files.
- Coupons Inc Bricks Safari Plugin
- Coupons Inc. Plugin
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20110420 Firefox/3.6.17
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
It does not work in Safe Mode either. I think what is happening is that the URL I am using for the site always redirects to whatever server is available at that time. However, even when it looks like I am at a site that I have been to before (I've tried copying and pasting the same URL repeatedly), Firefox still does not remember the password. Maybe this is a security function on the part of the site that I cannot bypass?
Websites remembering you and automatically log you in is stored in a cookie.
- Create an allow cookie exception (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: Exceptions) to keep such a cookie, especially for secure websites and if cookies expire when Firefox is closed.
- In Private Browsing - Control what information Firefox saves mode all cookies are session cookies that expire if that session is ended, so websites won't remember you.
- In Private Browsing - Control what information Firefox saves mode Firefox won't fill names and passwords automatically and won't offer to store new passwords.
- Do not use Delete browsing, search and download history on Firefox to clear the "Cookies" and the "Site Preferences"
Clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, and passwords.
Added site to Allow cookie exception setting and still no luck. What is weird now is that whenever I open the Firefox Privacy window, it defaults to "Remember History" rather than the "use custom settings for history" but when I change it to "use custom settings for history," I see that my Allow cookie exception is still there.
I notice that Firefox does not even remember the username (usually a drop down menu of previously typed usernames will appear when I start typing) on the site, much less the password.
That is OK. If Firefox shows "Remember History" then that means that all history settings have the default value. You get "Use Custom Settings" if there are changes made to make you aware of that.
Do you have a problem with websites remembering you (log you in automatically with each visit) or do you have a problem with filling the name and password in a log in form by the Password Manager ?
Usually, the websites where Firefox remembers my password will auto-log me in, or at least have the username and password field already filled out and all I have to do is click "Sign In." It's just with this one website (tychousa.umuc.edu) that I am having this problem where Firefox does not auto-fill either the username nor the password field even though I have asked it to remember.