How can I protect my home page from being changed?
Far too many programs are asking to change your browser homepage to their homepage when you install a program. and it's starting to get to the point where programs don't even ask before they change your homepage. How can I prevent anything but me from changing my homepage (i.e. Websites, installation programs, etc.)?
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
This started when...
I installed a program on my computer.
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- IE Tab Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Winamp Application Detector
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.1
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- DivX Web Player version 184.108.40.206
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Version 1.1.7, copyright 1996-2011 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20110319 Firefox/3.6.16 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
You can try to set the home page via a setting in the file user.js in the Firefox Profile Folder. Firefox reads that file on every start, so if extensions or other programs make changes to prefs.js then you can override them. You can make that file read-only to protect it more. You can copy the line with browser.startup.homepage from prefs.js to the user.js file.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder