Where does Firefox store the 'session restore' information on my computer (Windows 7)?
It seems I became familiar with the following situation:
I would close all windows of Firefox, with the exception of 1. In this remaining Firefox window I would have various tabs open (numerous web pages) that I wished to continue browsing the next time I opened Firefox. I would then click to close that remaining window, whereby a small query window asking me if I wanted to "quit" Firefox, or if I wanted to "save and quit" would pop up. I would choose the 'save and quit' option, at which point the Firefox window would close, and my tab session(s) would be ready and waiting for the next time I opened the Firefox program.
I went to close the last Firefox window (the window with the tabs that I wished to continue browsing the next time I opened Firefox)... but the crux of it, is that absolutely NO query window popped up to ask me if I wished to "quit" or if I wanted to "save and quit"!!! The Firefox window (with all its tabs) closed completely, and that was that - NO saved session! I don't know why the query window (giving me options) did not show up!
My 'problem solving' theory:
When Firefox crashes or when you choose to 'quit and save', Firefox must (somewhere) store the information of it's 'saved session' (or, indeed, a 'session prior to a crash'). I thought that perhaps if I could locate this information... thinking along such lines that perhaps it's a file somewhere in the belly of the computer ...that I could initiate this 'file' and get back my lost session.
- Where can I find this 'file' or information?
- Is this possible? (Or am I way off base?)
Some basic information: - current Firefox version: 3.5.15 - operating system: Windows 7 - current emotional status: angry and confused!!! Wahhh! (lol)
Additional System Details
- Default Plug-in
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.4"
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- DivX Web Player version 126.96.36.199
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22 for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Wacom Dynamic Link Library
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.5.15
I didn't find it in profile files: Recovering important data from an old profile.
sessionstore.js in your Profile folder.
In Firefox 3 you do not get the 'Save & Quit' pop-up dialog if you choose Tools > Options > General > Startup: "When Firefox Starts": "Show my windows and tabs from last time".
If that option is selected then your pages will already be reopened the next time.
To get that pop-up dialog you have to select one of the other choices (Show my home page,Show a blank page).
You can reset the warn prefs on the about:config page via the right-click context menu.
- browser.tabs.warnOnClose , see http://kb.mozillazine.org/About%3Aconfig_entries
- browser.warnOnQuit , see http://kb.mozillazine.org/browser.warnOnQuit
- browser.warnOnRestart , see http://kb.mozillazine.org/browser.warnOnRestart
Modified by cor-el