How to remove JW Player?
Same problem as posted here: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/765885
Can't find a way to uninstall/disable/avoid JW Player loading flash content.
Additional System Details
- nspluginwrapper is a cross-platform NPAPI plugin viewer, in particular for linux/i386 plugins.This beta software is available under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
- Plugin for Installing Applications (new)
- Mime Type x-skype for Skype Buttons
- The IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.9.1 (suse-0.2.2-x86_64)) executes Java applets.
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF files from within the browser.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20101026 SUSE/3.6.12-0.7.1 Firefox/3.6.12
JW player not listed as plugin.
Have you tried this: http://tutorial.downloadatoz.com/jw-desktop-player.html
Thanks, I found that link during my lengthy search for answers, prior to posting. That page doesn't even look legitimate. It talks about uninstalling "Liunx" (sic) from Windows Control Panel. I'm using Firefox 3.6.12 in openSUSE 11.3 x86_64.
I think I might've found something to clarify this. Unfortunately, there seems to be little to nothing one can do about it. It seems the JW Player does NOT reside on client side but on server side; it just uses client's Adobe Flash Player. This guess is based on a couple of observations:
- 1. Not all Flash videos / sites seem to be playing using JW Player; some use Adobe Flash Player directly.
- 2. Of the sites from which the flash videos are using JW Player, the player version reported is different from site to site.
Thus the conclusion JW Player is just a "parasite" running on top of Adobe Flash, probably to provide some extra "features" but in effect adding a new layer of bugs on top of the existing ones. So, the only way to "uninstall" JW Player would be asking the respective web site admin to disable it or provide alternative links without it.