Every time I do a new search, Firefox opens another tab in which to do it. How do I keep it from opening the new tab?
Every time I do a new search, Firefox opens another tab in which to do it. How do I keep it from opening the new tab? I just want to do the search in the same tab that is already open.
== I don't remember when it started, but it now happens every time I do a search for something.
Additional System Details
- -npmnqmp 071101000055
- Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Image Control Plugin for viewing images on Ancestry.com. Version 22.214.171.124
- My Web Search Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 126.96.36.199
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Rhapsody Player Engine Plugin
- Yahoo! activeX Plug-in Bridge
- Java Plug-in 1.6.0_11 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
deskcut, Java Quick Starter, Microsoft NET Framework Assistant, Move Media Player, Yahoo Toolbar
Type about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter. If you see the warning, you can confirm that you want to access that page.
Pref name = browser.search.openintab The default value is False - double-click that pref to change it. Then restart Firefox.
If that doesn't solve your problem, check to make sure that pref isn't getting reset - may have been initially changed by the Yahoo Toolbar extension, which may force that setting to reset when Firefox is started.
Thank you for your quick answer.
In about:config, what do I want the value to be if I want a search to open in the same tab that I am already in.
OK. Changing the setting did not make a difference. I changed it, restarted firefox only (did not reboot the whole computer), did a search, and the search still opens up in a new tab.
1. I had three tabs open. 2. When I re-opened firefox, I opened a new tab in which to do a practice search. 3. The search continues to open a new tab. 4. When I checked about:config again, it also opened that in a new tab.
Including a screenshot this time to show the tabs.
The preference I mentioned is for the Firefox Search bar, in the upper right. The search bar you used is on the Yahoo Toolbar - I can't help you with that.