This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
All was well. Then suddenly two, three, and more bookmarks and folders began to spontaneously duplicate. Some as many as ten or more times. Some of the folders are empty, while others with the same name have the links. What is happening and how do I stop it?
All Replies (1)
The iCloud Bookmarks extension that shows in the attached troubleshooting information has been reported to cause such issues.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions ("3-bar" menu button or Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions) or if hardware acceleration or userChrome.css is causing the problem.
- switch to the DEFAULT theme: "3-bar" menu button or Tools -> Add-ons -> Themes
- do NOT click the "Refresh Firefox" button on the Safe Mode start window
If you use Sync then best is to disconnect Sync temporarily during troubleshooting.
This can be caused by a problem with the places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite databases in the Firefox profile folder.
- use "Verify Integrity" button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page
If errors are reported with "Verify Integrity", close and restart Firefox or reboot and retry.
If "Verify Integrity" cannot repair places.sqlite, rename/remove all places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed. Firefox will rebuild places.sqlite and restore the bookmarks from a recent JSON backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.
- keep a backup copy of places.sqlite in case a new places.sqlite database has to be created
You lose the history when a new places.sqlite is created.
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder