Firefox randomly creates bookmarks in my toolbar that I can't permanently delete
Firefox will repeatedly create bookmarks that are duplicates of existing bookmarks in my bookmarks toolbar. Many but not all have the name "NO_TITLE". I can temporarily delete these bookmarks but they are automatically regenerate less than a minute later. This doesn't occur with bookmarks located in other folders. If I have the bookmarks navigation pane open on the left, I can watch a weird refresh going on every few minutes. I quit using Firefox a year ago because of this, but I'm trying it again.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
Hi Mike, that shouldn't happen.
Do you use Sync? There's always a possibility of extra glitches with sync'd bookmarks.
Could you make an extra backup of your bookmarks -- I suggest both formats:
- JSON: Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer
- HTML: Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks
Then try the "Verify Integrity" function. That's here:
Open Firefox's Troubleshooting Information page using any of these methods:
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" Help > Troubleshooting Information
- (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
- type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter
Near the bottom, there is a section titled Places Database -- that's the file which stores history and bookmarks. Click the button labeled Verify Integrity. There may be a 10-15 second delay before results appear.
The usually starts with:
> Task: checkIntegrity + The places.sqlite database is sane + The favicons.sqlite database is sane
Are there any indications of trouble? You can select and copy the report, and then paste it into a reply for review and comment.