This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Web pages converted to PDFs are entirely images, no text
I use PrimoPDF to convert documents, web pages, etc. to PDFs as needed.
The act of "printing" to the PrimoPDF "printer" creates a PDF from the web page I am browsing.
When I use another browser (Edge, Chrome), the PDF contains searchable text. I can use windows search and it will search the content (body) within the PDF. But when I use Firefox, the PDF contains images only and it is not searchable.
So I don't believe this has to do with the PrimoPDF - it is related entirely to Firefox.
Make no difference what web page I am on.
Any suggestions on how to correct this?
All Replies (8)
FF doesn't have it's own conversion pdf program that is done by 3rd party software. I use Acrobat Pro 11 to do my pdf page conversions and in doing so you do loose some features that is what happens.
Thanks westend. I realize FF does not have PDF conversion built in.
The issue is that with the tool that I do use (PrimoPDF), FF is the only browser where the PDF is rendered as images, not text.
Modified by Birdbrain
Hi Joe, each browser generates image-based PDFs from time to time. They are oddly inconsistent.
In Firefox's case, I looked into why Firefox would generate an image of the page for printing a few years ago. Here is a link to that thread. I haven't updated my research recently: firefox prints pdf as an image not lineart (page used a large box shadow and downloadable webfonts).
Are there some sample sites you want volunteers to look at as examples?
Consistently occurs on *every* website.
Consistently is OK with every other browser (Edge, Chrome, etc.) but not Firefox.
I use Acrobat Pro 11 on IE11, Chrome, FF and have no issues they all look the same. So that would mean the problem lies in the software and how it integrates with FF.
Consistently occurs on *every* website.
What about this page: https://www.userchrome.org/what-is-userchrome-css.html
I don't have PrimoPDF on this computer, but Firefox sent text output to the three PDF printer drivers I tested (Adobe, pdfFactory, CutePDF Writer).
(I intentionally designed that page to use standard Windows fonts for the print layout instead of the downloadable font used for the screen layout.)
Thanks to westend and jscher2000 for continued suggestions.
I tried PrimoPDF, doPDF, and the Windows 10 built-in print-to-PDF. All have same issue. Work OK with MS Edge and MS IE (not Chrome - I misspoke earlier).
None will not work with Firefox - always get a PDF with embedded images, not text.
HOWEVER - with the recommended page (https://www.userchrome.org/what-is-userchrome-css.html) things went as hoped for all 3 PrimoPDF, doPDF, and the Windows 10 built-in. Text is copy-able and searchable.
So maybe there is something there...?
This page has the issue: www.finecooking.com/recipe/basic-creme-caramel, using the "print" button on the pages to filter the crap. Another example: https://www.marthastewart.com/318692/mediterranean-chicken-packets?printview
CutePDF and PDFFactory are not available as add-ins with Firefox. Also CutePDF is no longer supported and my malware program flags the cutepdf site as suspicious.
Do not have Acrobat as I just need to convert docs and pages to PDF from time to time, not spend $$$ for Acrobat.
Hi Joe, both of those sites use odd downloadable fonts for most of the page, so that triggers the image approach in Firefox. The Martha Stewart site also has a box shadow around the recipe, which independently triggers it. Unfortunately, I don't know of a global fix for these issues.
One partial workaround is to block websites from using downloadable fonts. It's not very practical to browse full time this way when fonts are being used for symbols on buttons, but if you get desperate, that is an option you could try:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.
(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste gfx and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled preference to switch the value from true to false
When you reload the problem page, it then should use only built-in fonts and bypass at least that cause of trouble.
You can flip that setting back and forth as needed, but obviously this is an incomplete and inconvenient workaround. Hopefully someone will discover or create something better.