This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Gmail and Google talk no longer work with Firefox. How do I fix it?
Full featured gmail no longer works after the last upgrade (52.0.2). Before that, it was so slow that I had to use Chrome and Brave browser to access my mail. Now, gmail had made my default view basic html. I cannot upgrade it to full featured. Also, the gTalk has stopped working completely.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All Replies (1)
I don't have an immediate explanation, but have you already tried "the usual"?
If a site is generally known to work in Firefox, these are general suggestions to try when it stops working:
Cache and Cookies: When you have a problem with one particular site, a good "first thing to try" is clearing your Firefox cache and deleting your saved cookies for the site.
(1) Clear Firefox's Cache
If you have a large hard drive, this might take a few minutes. If you do not see the number going down on the page, you can reload it using Ctrl+r to check progress.
(2) Remove the site's cookies (save any pending work first). While viewing a page on the site, try either:
- right-click (on Mac Ctrl+click) a blank area of the page and choose View Page Info > Security > "View Cookies"
- (menu bar) Tools > Page Info > Security > "View Cookies"
- click the padlock or "i" icon in the address bar, then the ">" button, then More Information, and finally the "View Cookies" button
In the dialog that opens, the current site should be pre-filled in the search box at the top of the dialog so you can remove that site's cookies individually.
Then try reloading the page. Does that help?
Testing in Firefox's Safe Mode: In Safe Mode, Firefox temporarily deactivates extensions, hardware acceleration, and some other advanced features to help you assess whether these are causing the problem.
If Firefox is not running: Hold down the Shift key when starting Firefox.
If Firefox is running: You can restart Firefox in Safe Mode using either:
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" button > Restart with Add-ons Disabled
- Help menu > Restart with Add-ons Disabled
and OK the restart.
Both scenarios: A small dialog should appear. Click "Start in Safe Mode" (not Refresh).
I realize that the web (and perhaps some aspects of the Firefox UI) will be an alien place with out all your usual extensions, but at least you'll recognize Gmail. Probably.
Any improvement? (More info: Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode)