Firefox is refusing to listen to the Hosts file when links are clicked
Firefox is refusing to listen to the hosts file if links are clicked on, If say a malicious host is in the list, it will not load if the entry is typed into the address bar, however if the link is clicked (how practically all sites are visited), then the malicious host will load regardless of the /hosts file.
This is very alarming behaviour, my hosts file is perhaps the front line of defense against malicious entities and especially viruses (sorry, not smart enough to openBSD a lappy as a router, either that or it wasn't capable) and this makes many users who rely on the hosts file extremely vulnerable.
Why is this happening?
Fwiw i'm on win7
Additional System Details
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- Battlelog Game Launcher (2.7.1)
- DivX Web Player version 184.108.40.2064
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Google Update
- Nexon Game Controller
- Shockwave Flash 24.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.11
- Unity Player 5.3.4f1
- VLC media player Web Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
Can you provide examples of the sites(addresses) you have problems with?
Remove History For One Site Open the History Manager <Control><Shift> H. In the search bar, enter the name of the site. Right-click on one of the listings and select Forget About This Site. This should remove all information, including any passwords / settings.