Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

How do you clear 1000s of bookmark bars

vdig1

Somehow the bookmark bar has continually replicated itself and I have 24,000 bookmark bars. How do i delete them?

Somehow the bookmark bar has continually replicated itself and I have 24,000 bookmark bars. How do i delete them?

All Replies (4)

Probably caused by a corrupt places.sqlite file. Run Places Maintenance. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/places-maintenance/

Are you using Sync to sync the bookmarks?

If you use Sync then best is to disconnect Sync while performing maintenance/repair efforts to files in the Firefox profile folder.

See also:

I am using sync but I disabled it. I am not getting the following error message when I click on the bookmarks menu: Script: chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:276

Try to rename the places.sqlite file (places.sqlite.old) and let Firefox create a new file. You need to remove possible places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal temporary SQLite files if they are present. Firefox will use a compressed .jsonlz4 from the bookmarkbackups folder folder to rebuild places.sqlite, but you will lose the history. If most recent backup(s) are already corrupted then restore an older backup manually.

  • Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Restore

The name of a JSON bookmarks backup file includes a total item count (folders and separators included) and an hash value to prevent saving the same backup more than once.

You can use this button to go to the current Firefox profile folder: