This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Why aren't my passwords being displayed after resetting logins.json (successfully)?
My passwords stopped loading, I reloaded the logins.json file, but they aren't being pulled up yet, though it does save new entries. I reset signon.importedFromSqlite as well.
1) My passwords and userids stopped autofilling.
2) I've used steps here to reload the logins.json file and reset signon.importedFromSqlite : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1045127
3) The old file with my old data is now loaded. In Options, security, saved passwords... I can see my passwords (it was empty before I followed those steps to reload it.)
So that corrected that now if I enter a password on a site, it asks to save it, and it does save it.
4) THE PROBLEM: HOWEVER it's not pulling in all those all passwords that are in the logins.json file. I see them in the logins file but they don't load when I bring up the site. I've opened and closed FF a few times.
Could it be that I didn't delete the key file (but the passwords show when in Options... show passwords). In about:config I did a reset on signon.importedFromSqlite and it reads userset boolean true
- I had just updated Java. It was working after that.
- I updated FF a few days ago, but it was working after that.
- I had done a harddrive disk check using windows vista. It took way too long but found no errors. It stopped working after that. But I have the logins file back, so that's not it.
- None of my plugins have been a conflict with this in the recent past (or ever).
Modified by curls
Your passwords are stored in the key3.db and logins.json files. Make sure they have the same date/time stamp.Read this answer in context 👍 1
All Replies (3)
Your passwords are stored in the key3.db and logins.json files. Make sure they have the same date/time stamp.
Multiple efforts later and it's working again.
Apparently they don't have to have the same time stamp, but around the same time. (so they are a pair).
The steps I used above brought back files from 2014 so the contents were old. I then restored from a backup from a month ago, and that worked. I copied both files (logins.json & key.db).
I'm not sure why I have two profiles but the one I have marked as "old" is the active profile. So now that I know that, it's much easier to overwrite files in the right profile.
So, thank you, your comment gave me enough info to know what I needed to focus on and how it works... and so then I found the solution!
Glad to help. Safe Surfing.