This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
i can't open zip files
Whenever I receive zip files through emails I cannot open them ...... PLEASE explain in layman's terms as I have read some of the other answers and have no idea what anyone is talking about.........
All Replies (11)
How or where are you opening those files? Do you have a zip program installed?
opening usually in emails ..... when i click on it, it tells me i don't have the zip thing....
Look for a good free program. http://download.cnet.com/s/unzip/ Note: "Free to try" means a free trial, then you must pay for it.
Windows Explorer should be able to open a ZIP archive for exploring the files in it. Make sure that the file has the proper .zip file extension. You should always download programs from the website of its creator to be sure to get the latest version.
The free, open-source program 7-zip should be able to handle nearly any kind of archive file attachment you might receive.
After installing 7-zip, when accessing a zip attachment:
If you get an Open/Save/Cancel dialog when clicking a zip attachment, you can choose 7-zip there.
Note: If you get a pop-up saying the attachment has a SETUP file or is a program and do you want to install it, CANCEL. No one should be emailing you executable programs in the form of a zip archive without telling you in advance. In nearly every case, an unexpected installer is malware distributed in a phishing email.
If your Firefox saves the attachment automatically instead of giving you the Open/Save/Cancel dialog, then:
- After Firefox completes the download, click the blue arrow on the toolbar to open the recent downloads list
- Click the icon on the right side which looks like a file folder -- this will open Windows Explorer and highlight the downloaded file
- Right-click the file and use the 7-zip menu item(s) to open the zip file
Modified by jscher2000
done all that, still no go......
What do you mean? What happens? What program are you using?
This is the message I keep receiving when trying to open any .zip file......
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC could not open ‘…………………………… .zip’ because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded).
If the file is packed in a ZIP archive then you need to open the archive and save the stored PDF file to your hard drive before opening the file in the Adobe Reader. If the file is not a ZIP archive, but has the wrong file extension then you will have to rename the file before you open the file with the Adobe Reader.
STILL nothing..........................is there another free zip thing i can download...thanx
Could you review the situation in detail? For example:
- You downloaded the file. What is the full file name? Windows hides some file extensions by default, so please turn that off. See: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions
- If the file name does not end with .zip right-click the file and use Rename to add .zip to the end.
- If you double-click the ZIP file, what happens? Adobe Reader should not try to open it; that would be a mistaken association. Cancel that if it happens.
- If the file associate is not between the ZIP file and 7-zip, try right-clicking the file and using the 7-zip context menu items to open the archive in 7-zip. Do you have those items? Does it work?
Any luck so far?