Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

Firefox saves files from my outlook in weird name characters.

madbomber

The files' names originally are in Arabic language. A sample image is attached. http://s28.postimg.org/8c27etrq5/image.jpg

The files' names originally are in Arabic language. A sample image is attached. http://s28.postimg.org/8c27etrq5/image.jpg
Attached screenshots

Modified by madbomber

All Replies (12)

Nice view.

Type about:preferences#content<enter> in the address bar.

On the bottom of the page, find Languages. To its right, press the Choose button. Make sure the correct language and district is selected.

That is Unicode that if interpreted as 8 bit ANSI characters. I'm not sure if this is an issue with improper Unicode support on Windows XP.

Do you otherwise have a problem with saving image files with names that have Arabic characters?

Yes. Both images and Excel files. Image also saved in strange character name in the attached screenshot.

Fred.. I checked the languages and Arabic language is added.

Any new solutions please??

madbomber said

Fred.. I checked the languages and Arabic language is added.

Is your language selected as primary?

Fred yes I checked my languages and Arabic is the primary language I'm very sorry for the late reply, I had connection problems

I've called the big guys to help you. Good luck.

Navigate to the control panel, then click on clock, language and region. Now click on region and language and then go to the keyboards and languages tab. Under the installed services tab, click on add.

Change it, then restart the computer and the characters should be back to normal.

guigs2 said

Navigate to the control panel, then click on clock, language and region. Now click on region and language and then go to the keyboards and languages tab. Under the installed services tab, click on add. Change it, then restart the computer and the characters should be back to normal.

Change it to what? I tried removing the whole Arabic language and I installed it again.. but nothing changed

Can you create (rename) a file in Windows Explorer to a name with Arabic characters as this might be a limitation?

If the file path or your Windows user name has Arabic characters as well then try to download to a location withe only ANSI (ASCII) characters.

I can create excel files or image files with Arabic names. The file path has no Arabic characters. I tried saving in a folder with Arabic characters... same results. The weird thing is that I saved the file to the account's One Drive and then I downloaded the file from there... it was saved in normal Arabic characters!